Bought Myself A Few Pigeons

How's your birds getting on mate?

going well so far like a was saying on other topic have a pair hatched out 2 chicks going well so far :thumbs: ,, built a new shed for them 2 need to put a roof on it will get some photos up of it for you's :yes: caught a racing pigeon the other week he come in we my birds I've put him in a cage we another bird hes this years young hes a year 13 tag on him but he's an awful hump on him whatever's wrong we him any ideas? :hmm::laugh:

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One bit of advice I'll give you which I've got off others is take that bowl of food out and feed them once a day. You want them piling into the food dish when you call them, either a whistle or shakin

yeah gnipper mate they will work an thieve anything that resembles a pigeon, even when flown in a flock pouters will peel off and go hunting if they spy a pigeon, to get the most out of the sport you

got myself 4 new pigeons 2 limerick tumblers and 2 Birmingham rollers well chuffed we them as its the first time i have kept them

Posted Images

yeah gnipper mate they will work an thieve anything that resembles a pigeon, even when flown in a flock pouters will peel off and go hunting if they spy a pigeon, to get the most out of the sport you need a mate or even a few that live local, but pouters can and do range for miles looking for a tackle if full of steam. i had mine doing 15 mile easily then i outcrossed them to racing pigeons an increased the range, most pigeons are nice to have about the place, but get a couple of pouters and watch them work, an there characters will have you hooked in an instant, especially of you appreciate a working animal :thumbs:

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a pair of performance bred doos, they could keep the ferrets fed year round ;)

theres more and more folks in england flying them now, so you should come across some, i got rid of mine years ago, this thread is making me think about a pair in garden :hmm::D

The problem you'd have is buying from folks who have bred from unproven stock I reckon. At least on the other side of the wall they still get used. Can you tell if one is any good without watching it bring a bird home?

aye been trying to get my mate into it but he wont buy it he's into canary's and finches waste of time them lol but once i get pouters ill no if there anybody about that i dont no of lol :laugh: i said the same but i should of f****d it out again once i fed it an watered it thats the second i caught in 2days must of been a race on somewhere and they dropped of for a guy that bes down the local pub rung me saying they've one my pigeons and to come down get it and it was a racing pigeon that come into the pub :yes::laugh:

The problem you'd have is buying from folks who have bred from unproven stock I reckon. At least on the other side of the wall they still get used. Can you tell if one is any good without watching it bring a bird home?

most pouters, especially horseman an the spanish breeds will work mate, its all about putting steam into them, thats why you keep them seperate an then the horn will make them go range, if you are to target ferals then a plain blue barred or cheq bird is better as ferals are less weary of them with them being more natural looking, tho some ferals will go mad for a bit of white aswell. pouters will work 24/7 if left paired together so yeah you will get a pretty good idea of how well he will work just by watching him in a pen with a hen next door, or even allowed out in the hut together. a good worker can then be bred to racers if you want to increase the range in which they will work, start taking them on trips away from home an they will soon know there and and where to find others

most pouters, especially horseman an the spanish breeds will work mate, its all about putting steam into them, thats why you keep them seperate an then the horn will make them go range, if you are to target ferals then a plain blue barred or cheq bird is better as ferals are less weary of them with them being more natural looking, tho some ferals will go mad for a bit of white aswell. pouters will work 24/7 if left paired together so yeah you will get a pretty good idea of how well he will work just by watching him in a pen with a hen next door, or even allowed out in the hut together. a good worker can then be bred to racers if you want to increase the range in which they will work, start taking them on trips away from home an they will soon know there and and where to find others

aye women's dad is big into flying them over in Scotland they fly against each other plenty a them over there to do it :yes: he's bred me some young i'll be getting them in august :D have pics of 2 birds am getting ill put them up now :yes:

aye women's dad is big into flying them over in Scotland they fly against each other plenty a them over there to do it :yes: he's bred me some young i'll be getting them in august :D have pics of 2 birds am getting ill put them up now :yes:

stick them up mate, be nice to see

nice doo's them pal an the top pic will pop soon an will have a crop like the bottom 1, even if its a hen, then you will be able to pair them upto birds you have already got hanted to your hut an they will be easy to hant, then if you want you can pair them back uptogether an keep them as a pair, or cross them way your rollers, i had a few roller crosses an they were much gentler birds, the kids prefered the gentler ones :laugh: let me know if you need any advice on them, pm me anytime :thumbs:

• Like 1