Stock Re-Furb

The stock on my 100 kt is a bit tatty and has a few scratches on the underside (wurz). Lol. so im thinking about giving the stock a rub down, taking all the scratches out and re-oiling it. what is the coarsest grade of sand paper to use on it first??

Start at 120 but go steady or you will put more scratches on it. The lower the grade the less rubbing is needed, so go steady. I would go to a 360 grit as any finer will be wasted, then start the oiling de-nibbing each coat before going onto the next coat. Good Luck

Paul it doesn't take that long mate, you will be surprised I did mine (shotgun stock) in a few hours, its now ready for oil and perhaps a varnish, I did exactly what porky was saying, 120 grit and down to 360, finishing off with just a go over with some 0000 fine wool, its as smooth as a baby's bum and looks epic! Even before the oiling

9F069D59-35EF-411A-A2F7-7AD45692EFF3-130

1C2B7D37-9E02-4642-A515-5AEA23571DB8-955

This is what I did (the stock has some white spirit on it and is beng repaired from a crack, it's a 25 year old shotgun I'm restoring for someone that hasn't been fired in 16 years) the picture doesn't do it justice because I rubbed it down more after.

I'm using birchwood cassey gun stock finish and it works great!

2377F551-742F-4F46-B499-30E971469D4C-955

This is a bit more like it at the finish u can see the grain really well (this is the repaired crack)

Just shows what you can do to a damaged stock

Moxy on here is the man who helped me do it when I posted about stock referb a week or so ago. He kindly rang me and went through it with me

I know mate. im only messing. im actually quite enjoying it. its not too bad. its got me out of doing a few jobs in the garden this evening. its going to look really nice when its done pal. its got some nice grain to it wurz. how's things with you pal???