New Camara Action Shots And To The Post Of Help Breaking To Stock

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

why do you keep coming back to the "how much deerhound in the x" it doesn't matter whats in the mix, they should be broken to stock when they are pups, no excuses, which is what you are making.

nice pics like the look of your dogs, it does not matter what is in the dog to stock train as already said if you intend to go on ground with stock then its as essential as heel sit and stay and for f

you admit to being a beginner, so why won't you listen to what others are trying to tell you, you have contradicted yourself far to often to be taken seriously.

No disrespect to you taz and Lilly but I think it's down to the owner I know any dog I took on I would break them in no time a tall and like someone said yesterday you can see what the dog is thinking before it does it and I could have any breed and it would be broken as I said down to the owner and even if it was a rescue and older I wouldn't take it anywhere with sheep till it had that bond with me and listen instantly then when I knew I had that connection then I know I would break them within a hour atb

I can take any amount of respect:) and back at you.

I can't fault the way you train your dogs.

I've made it clear on the forum that I'm a beginner with lurchers, although I have some ferreting experience with other peoples Bedddy and Saluki X's - my dog is miles behind even a one year-old Saluki X.

For my training info I have to make do with what I read on forums, what I read in books, and what I pick up from otjhers (one of my mates is an ex-gamekeeper). I have the dog to the point where he comes in to the whistle straight away, and right in, like a second skin. He leaves ducks alone (don't want him chasing feather as there are ducks in the park), and he's probably ok with sheep now, but I can't and wouldn't chance it - too many young lambs around. So I'm not confident or cocky enough to say he's stock-trained.

On the last thread I got savaged a bit, both on open forum and by PM - fine - I have broad shoulders.

A lot of conclusions were jumped to, but if anyone cares to re-read the thread the only point I was making there was that each dog takes as long as it takes. I wasn't calling into question anyone's ability to stock-train their dogs.

I had a collie X some years back (not a lurcher) who needed no stock-training at all, and no-one had trained him before me - he just knew instinctively not to chase sheep or horses,

So it does seem to me that it depends to some extent on the dog.

I've read a few posts on this forum where people were saying their deerhound X took ages to mature - or that he/she was useless and suddenly turned the corner at over two years, so I don't think it's just me.

To the person on this thread who maintains that the dog should be trained as a pup - YES, BUT I DIDN'T GET HIM UNTIL HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD. HE WAS A RESCUE AND I WANTED ONE WITH BALLS - I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL AN ENTIRE CAME UP.

It's in my last post.......

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

nice pics like the look of your dogs, it does not matter what is in the dog to stock train as already said if you intend to go on ground with stock then its as essential as heel sit and stay and for f**k sake a pup should be doing that no probs, 2 and half year to mature maybe to train to stock me thinks should be up to scratch by 12months imo

• Like 2

No disrespect to you taz and Lilly but I think it's down to the owner I know any dog I took on I would break them in no time a tall and like someone said yesterday you can see what the dog is thinking before it does it and I could have any breed and it would be broken as I said down to the owner and even if it was a rescue and older I wouldn't take it anywhere with sheep till it had that bond with me and listen instantly then when I knew I had that connection then I know I would break them within a hour atb

I can take any amount of respect:).

I've made it clear on the forum that I'm a beginner with lurchers, although I have some ferreting experience with other peoples Bedddy and Saluki X's - my dog is miles behind even a one year-old Saluki X.

For my training info I have to make do with what I read on forums, what I read in books, and what I pick up from otjhers (one of my mates is an ex-gamekeeper). I have the dog to the point where he comes in to the whistle straight away, and right in, like a second skin. He leaves ducks alone (don't want him chasing feather as there are ducks in the park), and he's probably ok with sheep now, but I can't chance it - too many young lambs around. So I'm not confident enough to say he's stock-trained.

On the last thread I got savaged a bit - fine - I have broad shoulders.

The only point I was making there was that each dog takes as long as it takes. I wasn't calling into question anyone's ability to stock-train their dogs.

I had a collie X some years back (not a lurcher) who needed no stock-training at all, and no-one had trained him before me - he just knew not to chase sheep or horses,

To the person on this thread who maintains that the dog should be trained as a pup - YES, BUT I DIDN'T GET HIM UNTIL HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD. hE WAS A RESCUE AND I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL AN ENTIRE CAME UP.

this to me is an excuse the dog is still a pup at 6 months if you want to walk land that has stock on its your responsibility to get it sorted, you need to get stock infront of your dog as much as possible stop making excuses like theres lambs or he is not mature yet.

• Like 1

I can take any amount of respect:) and back at you.

For my training info I have to make do with what I read on forums, what I read in books, and what I pick up from otjhers (one of my mates is an ex-gamekeeper). I have the dog to the point where he comes in to the whistle straight away, and right in, like a second skin. He leaves ducks alone (don't want him chasing feather as there are ducks in the park), and he's probably ok with sheep now, but I can't and wouldn't chance it - too many young lambs around. So I'm not confident or cocky enough to say he's stock-trained.

On the last thread I got savaged a bit, both on open forum and by PM - fine - I have broad shoulders.

A lot of conclusions were jumped to, but if anyone cares to re-read the thread the only point I was making there was that each dog takes as long as it takes. I wasn't calling into question anyone's ability to stock-train their dogs.

I had a collie X some years back (not a lurcher) who needed no stock-training at all, and no-one had trained him before me - he just knew instinctively not to chase sheep or horses,

I've read a few posts on this forum where people were saying their deerhound X took ages to mature - or that he/she was useless and suddenly turned the corner at over two years, so I don't think it's just me.

To the person on this thread who maintains that the dog should be trained as a pup - YES, BUT I DIDN'T GET HIM UNTIL HE WAS 6 MONTHS OLD. HE WAS A RESCUE AND I WANTED ONE WITH BALLS - I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL AN ENTIRE CAME UP.

It's in my last post.......

but that wasn't what was in question was it? nobody was disagreeing about the length of time for the dog to mature, it was about stock training at an early age. was it not?

• Like 1

Well, it looks like it could be a re-run of the other thread, so I'll bow out now while the going's good.

you admit to being a beginner, so why won't you listen to what others are trying to tell you, you have contradicted yourself far to often to be taken seriously.

• Like 2

Well, it looks like it could be a re-run of the other thread, so I'll bow out now while the going's good.

My dog is next to stock every day - lambs loose on the path - two foot away. He totally ignores them. He comes in to heel when called. I'm just not happy to let him off with the number of lambs we have around at the moment. He's not broken to horses because there aren't any around, same with cattle.

I've taken advice off here before and found it very useful - I'm delighted to take advice - tell me what more I can do.

small feild of rams let him off the lead and make sure he totally ignores them as soon as he looks correct him simples. rams are usually together in smallish paddocks at this time of year which is excellent for training

small feild of rams let him off the lead and make sure he totally ignores them as soon as he looks correct him simples. rams are usually together in smallish paddocks at this time of year which is excellent for training

Right - that sounds good - I'll ask the farmer tomorrow about rams. I'll report back.

Cheers.

My dog is next to stock every day - lambs loose on the path - two foot away. He totally ignores them. He comes in to heel when called. I'm just not happy to let him off with the number of lambs we have around at the moment. He's not broken to horses because there aren't any around, same with cattle.

I've taken advice off here before and found it very useful - I'm delighted to take advice - tell me what more I can do.

if he does what you say above then there shouldn't be a problem then, why don't you trust him?

if he does what you say above then there shouldn't be a problem then, why don't you trust him?

Because he's a big fast dog, and two or three dead lambs will lose me my dog and shooting permission?

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

Because he's a big fast dog, and two or three dead lambs will lose me my dog and shooting permission?

Had all this crap the other day...see the Help with Stock Breaking thread...once again quite simple...if you have a 2.5 year old dog (irrespective of its deerhound ancestry) and it's not stock broken and you need to have it on an extendable lead you have failed...no ifs, buts or whatevers...no one has anything positive to say about your input on this or the other thread...you've just admitted that your dog is capable of killing 2 or 3 lambs...that's a shocking admission...and if you feel, I take it the comment that you were abused by PM, was aimed at me please feel free to report the content of the PMs I sent you... :thumbs:

How about getting that cat as I suggested... :thumbs: