Help Training My Pup To Go For Rabbits

get some rabbit skins and i also like to start a pup out going out with the air rifle from a young age retrieving shot game. time is key pal keep at it.

i would also like to see a photo off this dog would be interesting

atb

• 3 weeks later...

Well there mate while all the men have giving sound and the best advice I tend to agree with everything that the men have said but a spot of lamping gets them going quicker as during the day there are distractions during the day that they dont see at night plus I try to get them a rat in a trap after that let them watch expeirienced dogs and in between let your pup follow the other dogs mooching in brush or around hedges it helps they get the scents and smells good luck mate ..

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with what these guys have said, sounds like your dogs gonna be big framed so I wouldn't run it too early, its got a lot of growing to do yet.
my little bitch got her first rabbit at about 8months on her own - just running about off lead and she got a sitter. boosted her confidence a lot and she started going for more but wasn't quite ready (see I don't take her out working but do encourage her to chase rabbits). I probably did everything wrong for her so she missed a lot and lost her confidence and drive. had I known better i'd have taken her out with some others and kept her on lead to watch how it's done and get keen and grow up mentally.
she's 15months now and gets a couple of rabbits a week normally but I still don't work her as I have no one to go with, she just catches them on the farm. if she misses she turns into a miserable bitch and looses her drive for the day but once she gets one she's on cloud 9 lol and nothing stops her.
basically I wouldn't do anything too soon, give him a chance to grow up physically and mentally and only let him have a run if he's certain to be successful so you don't break his confidence too early like mine did.