Dogs Pushing Through Cover

How do you get your dogs to push through cover she will run through long grass but not brambles or any prickly things even if she see her query she will sit and look at it and then me any tips on how to get her to push the bird out the cover for the gun

try not to worry there all different i have a bitch who would not face any cover until she turned two, then slowly started to come round, might not be a bad thing a dog that takes its time rather than a heads down full on type dog .

some dogs do and some dogs don't, I've seen dogs with blood all over their faces where they've pushed through brambles and dogs that are used for picking up flatly refuse to go into anything thorny. I've just started taking our springer,who came to us third hand at 6 months old and is now 3, rough shooting and he happily pushes through anything, he has a good nose and is getting the hang of retrieving, he is the family pet but I think most dogs have it in them you just have to coax it out!!

How do you get your dogs to push through cover she will run through long grass but not brambles or any prickly things even if she see her query she will sit and look at it and then me any tips on how to get her to push the bird out the cover for the gun

Morning Fretwell 59,

Hope i can shed some light on your spaniels lack of pushing through cover.

With the dog only being presented as a 2 year old with no background on it`s initial training, i could only hazard a guess that the problem is highly likely to be in it`s foundation training...

For Example : Taking the time of year into consideration ( cover available ),and whether your pup is ready for it ( running back to you with balls/dummies-no emphasis on delivery + if you have encouraged your dog to move left and right around your feet from 8 weeks of age),the following i start with between 5/6 months of age.

So at present (winter) : Spaniel 5 1/2 months old being trained for shooting over.

Dummies with snipe and woodcock wings attached placed in deep bracken,say 3 yards either side of you.Set of on your quartering pattern,dog will locate dummy quickly and run back into your arms with it,after doing all the usual belly rub and un-rushed removal of the dummy,take the dog back to the exact area of the find and absolutely go over the top with praise ( this is the secret ),it gives the dog a massive positive experience in the bracken ! That little spaniel punches through that bracken now,only appearing when jumping into my arms with the dummy..

Same dog in rabbit pen,walked to cover on lead,encouraged to enter cover ( 1 yard circle of brashings ),rabbits/pheasant flushed,dog sat up with tug on lead if need be.The dog is then allowed to keep on hunting the sent in the cover only, receiving massive praise,dog soon relates to the flush no matter what the surroundings are,it`s just about varying the cover..

Hope this helps !

Stick in...

Edited by camokev64
  • Like 1

She will go through long grass bushes and anything other than things with spikes on them she will hunt and will deliver back so hand and when it comes to game in spiky cover she will just go in to point mode and not move till I flush it and then she will go and retrieve it to hand

Edited by Fretwell 59

She will go through long grass bushes and anything other than things with spikes on them she will hunt and will deliver back so hand and when it comes to game in spiky cover she will just go in to point mode and not move till I flush it and then she will go and retrieve it to hand

The object of the training exercise is that the dog flushes the quarry not you !.The more you do it for the dog the more it will let you...