New Packs

How did you guys start your own packs did you have it handed down by your fathers or did your just start you own? How did you get permission to run a pack on farmers land because can travel a fair distance ? I'm not looking to start my own pack maybe one day as i do love the hounds !! Cheers for information

• Like 2

there is more to hunting than hunting ,

hounds need feeding 7/7

vets bills

kennels

tranport

insurance

and a couple of spots of thousands of acres to hunt would be help full were no one else hunts with little or no traffic

besides that its all run of the mill :whistling:

• Like 2

there is more to hunting than hunting ,

hounds need feeding 7/7

vets bills

kennels

tranport

insurance

and a couple of spots of thousands of acres to hunt would be help full were no one else hunts with little or no traffic

besides that its all run of the mill :whistling:

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

lot of small foot packs in ireland.. few keen hunting lads with a couple of hounds apiece meet on a sunday and hunt away until its dark..great sport and great craic.. plenty foxes and not the bullshite that goes on over here.. good hounds good terrier good lurchers all bred for one thing to hunt and kill foxes.. simple..

• Like 7

lot of small foot packs in ireland.. few keen hunting lads with a couple of hounds apiece meet on a sunday and hunt away until its dark..great sport and great craic.. plenty foxes and not the bullshite that goes on over here.. good hounds good terrier good lurchers all bred for one thing to hunt and kill foxes.. simple..

bushing not hunting

Gonetoearth what do you mean by bushing not hunting. Do you think our sport in Ireland is not of equal value to that of the mounted packs, just because we don't dress up in fancy gear and address our betters as "sir"?. My own pack is a trencher fed foot pack, most of whose members, including myself, can trace their families involvement in hunting and keeping hounds at least back into the 1800's. We are not in any way unique as there are written records of foot packs kept by the "peasants" and factory workers in South Ulster back into the 1700s, that's a lot of tradition and hunting knowledge to draw on. Its the same in Cork where there are foot packs in Cork City that go back to the 1820s and in South Kerry where there are packs recorded around Waterville and Portmagee back into the 1700's. My own pack do not keep "bushing dogs" nor do any of the packs around. We may not have a stud book, but in our own pack can trace our breed lines through the oral tradition back to the 1900's, the old lads who hunted the hounds when I was a kid could go back even further. We have our own country as do the rest of the footpacks around, the borders of which have been passed down from generation to generation and in the main are respected by all. Truthfully I have little or no time for the mounted hunts and have yet to see one with a pack of hounds to match a good foot packs. In my experience of mounted hunts are that they are there solely to provide a round of jumping to the field and the hounds are only a sideshow. The toughest packs in our district hunt 4 days a week, with a couple of three days in a row a few times a year to find out what they really have. Over the years we have found the only hounds other than the Irish harrier to stick it out have been the Welsh Hounds, foxhounds and mounted harriers just quit after a while. I am not sure about other parts of Ireland, but the foot packs of south Ulster, and in the similar traditions of Cork, Clare and South Kerry hunt hounds that are well bred and hard hunted, far from bushing packs.

• Like 6

footman who stated i hunt on horseback , and next time you jump in read carefully , thank you for the short history of hunting in your part of the world , but i think you will find pre ban over are side of the pond the use of a few hounds kept by various people and the use of the long dog is BUSHING the use of hounds to hunt a fox to ground or caught by foxhounds is HUNTING and me a peasant through and through , as for mounted packs hounds not being up to the job think you best get yourself around gods own country and hunt with a few before making such a bold statement i could name qiute a few who would give any foot pack a run for their money , oh and its heart warming to hear your praise of the the welsh :whistling:;)

Edited by gonetoearth
  • Like 1

footman.. well said. i just finished 3 seasons as kennel/terrierman to the county limericks and 6 seasons in same role to the ballymacad foxhounds up in meath. that other lad obviously hasnt got a clue about proper hunting and has never hunted over in ireland. dont judge me until you have walked a mile in my shoes.....

footman.. well said. i just finished 3 seasons as kennel/terrierman to the county limericks and 6 seasons in same role to the ballymacad foxhounds up in meath. that other lad obviously hasnt got a clue about proper hunting and has never hunted over in ireland. dont judge me until you have walked a mile in my shoes.....

. Do you flush to lurchers with a bobbery pack