jack russells and rabbits?

I agree Moll, my terrier will go to ground after rabbits so common sense tells me to keep a shovel in the truck or don't exercise her where she can go to ground :doh:

Foxwarren, if your dogs are coming back covered in blood then keep them or leads and work on your recall, could be rabbit blood, could be from anything...........

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MOLLY
What moral high ground you do take ! Judging by the tone of your post you imply that Im some kind of crazed hunter wanting his dogs to kill things. I suggest you re read the original post and youll see what im trying to do is find out about terrier behaviour. Im not the first person to own a terrier that likes to go down holes if you exercise your dogs well its odds on it will find a hole to go down.

The are thousands of owners of what you call "untrained" terriers out there blissfully unaware of the carnage they are creating in our countryside. So I suggest you offer up information on this forum and not lectures.

No high moral ground or lectures FW, just seen and heard about too much going wrong.

How you decided to read the 'tone' and 'implications' of the post has nothing to do with me, it was just written as factual!

You asked.....

Is this right or wrong
Therefore requiring peoples opinions and answers, obviously the answer i gave is not one you wanted to hear ;)

MOLL.

• 3 weeks later...
So what is the deal with terriers and rabbits? Im getting mixed messages from reading this forum. I have two russels and I like to let them go when exercising them. The best place near me is a massive burrows network where they run nuts and have a great time tire themselves out and love it. There obviously down rabbit holes doing presumably what they like doing.(Killing rabbits?) Sometimes I have to wait a while ( sometimes an hour ) for the small bitch as she is tiny and must go down deep. she makes a lot of noise down there

The dog is much bigger and while he sniffs around for ages he always come to me fairly well.

Is this right or wrong to let them behave like this. What is normal jack russel behavior? and should it be encouraged or not.

Foxwarren

Rabbits! Want to catch rabbits get a gun or lurcher, all you idiots. show heads, bull shi**ers, rosette hunters make me sick, your punney useless so called terriers are sh*t, I ve seen ferrets stronger, get off the site and stop boaring the arse off ever one, this is for working terriers, work means fox control, yes we may rat terriers as opups or even as control, rabbiting does not even come in to the equation, heres a saying all you show heads can start useing at the shows, another saying you have picked up to add to your vocabularly of sayings when standing at a show ring !I dont work my terrier to rabbit in case he starts to false mark" now the rest of the numb c**ts will really think you are genuine!

Shoot the lot of them (owners in all)

So what is the deal with terriers and rabbits? Im getting mixed messages from reading this forum. I have two russels and I like to let them go when exercising them. The best place near me is a massive burrows network where they run nuts and have a great time tire themselves out and love it. There obviously down rabbit holes doing presumably what they like doing.(Killing rabbits?) Sometimes I have to wait a while ( sometimes an hour ) for the small bitch as she is tiny and must go down deep. she makes a lot of noise down there

The dog is much bigger and while he sniffs around for ages he always come to me fairly well.

Is this right or wrong to let them behave like this. What is normal jack russel behavior? and should it be encouraged or not.

Foxwarren

Rabbits! Want to catch rabbits get a gun or lurcher, all you idiots. show heads, bull shi**ers, rosette hunters make me sick, your punney useless so called terriers are sh*t, I ve seen ferrets stronger, get off the site and stop boaring the arse off ever one, this is for working terriers, work means fox control, yes we may rat terriers as opups or even as control, rabbiting does not even come in to the equation, heres a saying all you show heads can start useing at the shows, another saying you have picked up to add to your vocabularly of sayings when standing at a show ring !I dont work my terrier to rabbit in case he starts to false mark" now the rest of the numb c**ts will really think you are genuine!

have read all your posts you dont seem to think much of what is said on this site.

in my opinion your only here to get peoples backs up :yes:

I knew an old poacher years ago, who had a little curly haired JRT.

the poacher used to ride a push bike with a wicker basket fixed to the front of it, and there the JRT sat until they reached their destination, where he hid his bike and then went ferreting.

one goodly day we met and got chatting while both out ferreting. I remember actually laughing at this man and his scruffy insignificant JRT..........

That dog proved me wrong all day, he marked 100% never went to earth and great with the ferrets. He was also silent didn't yap once..

when i asked him why he didn't run a lurcher or a bigger type terrier, he said WHY I'M ONLY AFTER RABBITS!, why draw attention to myself for no reason, and my little dog does everything i want and need it too.

i never laughed at him again or his dog.

regards

paul

Says the twat that feels the need to talk to himself under a different name? :feck:

Guest foxtrack

Foxwarren

drugs mate.

it can make you talk a load of bollocks , ant it :yes:

i now i talk it all the time and the only drug i take is tobacco

maybe you need help ? felling lonely ? no one to talk to ?

down and sad ,lifes a bitch mate i now.

but you can get help :yes:

it only takes a phone call mate :yes:

there's lots of help lines, go on ring one ,give it a go :angel:

Guest FOXDOG

Foxwarren

drugs mate.

f**k me that made me laugh :clapper::clapper:

Guest foxtrack

Foxwarren

drugs mate.

f**k me that made me laugh :clapper::clapper:

:thumbs::thumbs::clapper::clapper:

its fun mate aint it :clapper:

Foxwarren

have read all your posts you dont seem to think much of what is said on this site.

in my opinion your only here to get peoples backs up :yes:

Only if they talk sh**!

I knew an old poacher years ago, who had a little curly haired JRT.

the poacher used to ride a push bike with a wicker basket fixed to the front of it, and there the JRT sat until they reached their destination, where he hid his bike and then went ferreting.

one goodly day we met and got chatting while both out ferreting. I remember actually laughing at this man and his scruffy insignificant JRT..........

That dog proved me wrong all day, he marked 100% never went to earth and great with the ferrets. He was also silent didn't yap once..

when i asked him why he didn't run a lurcher or a bigger type terrier, he said WHY I'M ONLY AFTER RABBITS!, why draw attention to myself for no reason, and my little dog does everything i want and need it too.

i never laughed at him again or his dog.

regards

paul

Wise words from a man with experience and knowledge, he had nothing to prove and new his sport, thats what it is all about, no lies, no sh** and help genuine lads/girls out, not for £s but for the love of the terriers and sport.

Good luck

Terriers that must not go to ground in case they get injured (presumably?), because they are "companions", but will be allowed / encouraged to take a rat (them feckers bite A lot harder than any rabbit!)

then we have reams of titttle tattle regarding peoples bad habbits etc etc yawn yawn.

just in case anyone has forgotten, and just a gentle reminder mind, wwwthehuntinglife.com

thought it may help

good luck to the dog walkers, better luck to anyone out there still using a terrier for the job intended.

• 2 weeks later...
Terriers that must not go to ground in case they get injured (presumably?), because they are "companions", but will be allowed / encouraged to take a rat (them feckers bite A lot harder than any rabbit!)

then we have reams of titttle tattle regarding peoples bad habbits etc etc yawn yawn.

just in case anyone has forgotten, and just a gentle reminder mind, wwwthehuntinglife.com

thought it may help

good luck to the dog walkers, better luck to anyone out there still using a terrier for the job intended.

:thumbs: well said