Few Pics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

You should be able to see them now.

She was away today on a walked up shoot and did fine, had some good points and retrieves. She is a big bitch and not the most feminine looking, but she can work! She has amazing stamina and a good nose. She is a little twitchy just now and we suspect she may be due in season fairly soon (Wires tend to only have one season a year) - we have a stud dog waiting so we'll see what she produces. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, nice dogs.

I ve been looking into aquiring my first dog, i want it for rough shooting, standing on driven pheasants and probarbly beating and picking up. I initially had my heart set on a lab but have also seriously considered a cocker or springer.

How do you think a wire haired vizla would fair up (to me more so as my first dog ).

Are they any more difficult to train and do you think they are most utilised on the moor as opposed to the lower ground.

Any info would be appreciated on gaining more understanding to come to a decision.

Also any books etc that you would recomend.

Regards,

What you describe is what my husband uses this bitch for..the advantages of a HPR for a single shooter are that you have one dog doing everything for you. My husband often takes her out over land where he has permission and she cant hunt, point and retrieve for him..we also have a handler that takes her out on shoots locally. She works well over all ground including cover on occassion. The advantage of the Wire over the Smooth Vizsla of the likes of GSP is the coat, her coat is profuse and wiry and waterproof, she can work on very cold days and also wet days. She has amazing stamina and works tirelessly throughout the day. There is a book by Gay Gottilieb that talks briefly about the Wire..but apart from that the breed is still not that well known. They are a totally different dog temperament wise to the Smooth Vizsla, they are much calmer and less dizzy, this is our first Wire, but she has been pliable and easy to train..much more so that the Smooth. If you type 'Hungarian Wire Vizsla' into Google it will take you to their website. Wires are still on the rare breeds register through the Kennel Club, sadly even in a breed this small, the show side are managing to breed nervy dogs with a poor coat..thankfully there is an increasing amount of people realising the plusses of this breed in the shooting and more emphasis is being put on breeding decent working stock. She has just been mated this week-end to a dog who is the son of a Hungarian import, he also works. PM me if you want any additional information. Any pups should be born towards the end of November and ready to go mid-Jan.

Edited by redmoor

yeah my personal opinion is that the wire haired is a much more handsome dog, do the coats grow much thicker than the pictures show?

how would you rate the difficulty in training in comparrison to a lab, i guess if you put the time in with any breed you will get results! although it would be my first attempt so do you think i would be running before i could walk.

How would they fair on a driven pheasant shoot from a beating point of view, would the point be an issue, currently i am in a driven shoot where i will be standing, this would primarily give the opportunity only for picking up.

do you have any more pictures of your dogs, whats the stud dog look like, is he as big as the bitch and whats his coat like.

one final issue, i would like to keep my dog indoors, how do they fair in a family situation.

cheers much appreciated.

Andy