Summer Project

pmatty77

Now the ferreting has come to an end decided to do a long net 25 yards x 13 meshes with a selvedge top and bottom of spun poly,should keep me quiet for a bit will update the pics as i go.Any tips welcome,have made a split in the ring underneath the cord to slide off the meshes.

post-21535-0-25770000-1361378526.jpg

That is twisted nylon in the photo and unless you can get the knots better you will be honestly waisting your time making the net. I don't want to dishearten you but in all honesty I am telling you now to save you from a big mistake.

TC

That is twisted nylon in the photo and unless you can get the knots better you will be honestly waisting your time making the net. I don't want to dishearten you but in all honesty I am telling you now to save you from a big mistake.

TC

Ha Ha, yes well spotted,that was a single knot,am going to try a double and see how that goes,if not i will get some from agouti which is what i should have done in the first place.

Hi pmatty,

I really wouldn't bother with the z nylon mate, if your going to take the time to construct a long net you may as well use one of the spun twines.

Me personally, I hate loading a needle or two at a time whilst making the net. I tend to load about six or more at a time in one go to get it out of the way and I roughly know how much netting I get from a needle. Like I said that's just one of the this things I do and whatever way you choose, good luck and stick with it. Mr Good cat.

• Like 1

General opinion is to get some decent twine,i have double knotted and it seems to be holding,am probably going to turn it into a stop net and get some twine from agouti and start again ,has anyone tried the longnet twine from him (link below) it says polyester but no further detail weight etc or if anyone got any better idea's

http://www.agouti-nets.co.uk/product/41-500g-green-long-net-twine

• Like 1

General opinion is to get some decent twine,i have double knotted and it seems to be holding,am probably going to turn it into a stop net and get some twine from agouti and start again ,has anyone tried the longnet twine from him (link below) it says polyester but no further detail weight etc or if anyone got any better idea's

go for the green spun poly mate,nice to knit with :thumbs:

Last time I ordered from Nige, he said the brown was better to knit with? So thats what I got, maybe different batches...

It was a right pain in the arse getting used to it being so thin, I had about 9 friction breaks in the first few yards, but got there in the end.

His longnet twine IS spun poly, and is about as thick as 4z nylon, maybe a little thicker. It makes a nice net at 14 meshes plus selvedge. I then used the thicker purse net spun poly for selvedge.

Last time I ordered from Nige, he said the brown was better to knit with? So thats what I got, maybe different batches...

It was a right pain in the arse getting used to it being so thin, I had about 9 friction breaks in the first few yards, but got there in the end.

His longnet twine IS spun poly, and is about as thick as 4z nylon, maybe a little thicker. It makes a nice net at 14 meshes plus selvedge. I then used the thicker purse net spun poly for selvedge.

Ok thanks,is double knot best,have ordered the twine,ordered the green before i seen your post

Ok thanks,is double knot best,have ordered the twine,ordered the green before i seen your post

Prob wont make any difference mate, Nige wouldnt sell on shite...

Prob wont make any difference mate, Nige wouldnt sell on shite...

K cheers,do you recommend double knot?

Both green and brown are ok, I have found brown better my self, not sure why. Had the odd breakage but that's often when I am switching back and forth to purse nets.

Its nice to use and catches rabbits well, as long as the nets set right :)