It's All Pianoman's Fault!

After being away in NZ for the past eleven years I recently got back and decided to take up air rifle shooting again. I say again, because the last time I used an air rifle seriously was when my son James asked if he could have one at age thirteen. We lived in a built-up area then, although on the verge of open countryside, so I told him that of he could find a local farmer who would let us shoot over his land I'd get him one. Well, he was off on his bike every night for best part of a month before he returned triumphantly. So, off we went and got a couple of (then, brand new and only just on the market) Weihrauch HW 77K's in .177.

We had some really wonderful times hunting, I could never actually kill anything, especially when it smiled at me, however, James never had those qualms and often returned with a rabbit or two that he skinned, prepared, cooked and our Scottie dog was well impressed.We the got involved in Field Target shooting and enjoyed the spirit of competition and camaraderie that existed among like minded followers of the sport - wonderful times.

Anyhow, James grew out of shooting when he went off to university, and I was travelling on business quite a bit, so the HW 77's went.Pity really.

Anyhow, as I say, I recently decided to have another go and had identified the Air Arms S400 Superlite (left handed, so ambidextrous stock appealed) and traveled over to Bromsgrove to pick one up. Whilst in the shop humming and ah-hing I saw a HW 97KTS up on the wall - well, when I picked it up, synthetic stock and all, it was just like old times. So, I left the shop with said wonderful rifle, two piece quality mounts, Hawke 30SF Eclipse, and a tin of AA Diablo Field and H & N FTT to try out. Best thing I've done in years. Heading off up to Byley FTC in a couple of weeks to get a feel for it - which explains why pianoman's Christmas Day 2010 post "Spring air rifle shooting" on this forum really hit the spot. Great article and obviously written from the heart. Thanks pinoman, and I agree wholeheartedly.

Eric in Shropshire.