Doctor Scopes

Had a look through one on the range last year,very good glass for the money.For my eyes it looked clearer,sharper than a S&B that i had a peep through on the same day.However everybodies eyes are different.Have a look at the Bushnell Elite series of scopes,cheaper but again top glass.

I believe they use Zeiss lenses , I used a second hand 8x56 Docter scope on a .222, great clear sight, I now use a 4.5 - 14 x40 with adjustable Parallax on a .204 Ruger. Perfect clear sight . Preferred the 56 mm bell though

Edited by Hawkeye.

thanks for the replies i will keep researching they seem to get a good write up but my friend says they are bulky (not sure what model he was talking about) i considered the 56 objective but i think a 48 or 50 is a good middle of the road lens for night use

Docter is the "original" Carl Zeiss in Jena ;)

After the WWII some of the people and equipment was moved by the Americans from Jena to West Germany and since the there were 2 Zeiss Companies. By the London agreement in 1971 they had to use the following names: Carl Zeiss West Germany and Carl Zeiss Jena. Before that both Companies used Carl Zeiss name.

In 1989 Carl Zeiss Jena was the biggest producer of sport optics in the world with more than 400000 pieces produced in that year. Afterwards Eastern block collapsed and Carl Zeiss West Germany achieved that only they can use the name Carl Zeiss. Carl Zeiss Jena had then (91-99) had huge problems with excessive number of employees. Afterwards they were named Docter and now they are on a steady path to better times.

Speaking about optics they are top notch and nobody on the market offers better value/money ratio. Their Classic, Unipoint and Basic models are better than S&B Klassik, Zeiss Klassik/Duralyt, Kaps Klassik scopes and at the same time cheaper.They are also one of the last producers of top quality Porro binoculars which have just spectacular light transmission rate. Their Nobilem 8x56 are probably the best low light binoculars currently on the market. You can see the light transmission rate here:

13002_docter_nob_8_56_trans.jpg

So I would highly recommend their products.

Edited by De_Tomaso
  • 3 weeks later...