Dogs Just Lost His Nail

has it snapped really short or has it been completely ripped out? If it's just broken off it should grow back, if not then I doubt it will. Either way you should clean it with a decent antiseptic and you can cap the end off, or try and wrap it up I suppose. I doubt there is much point seeing vet as they can't do much other than wrap it up or cap it 'professionally' but if it's not putting any weight down by tomorrow I would probably get it checked out for a break.

You can stop the bleeding using a stypic pencil, or make a thick paste (flour and water will do) and that should stop it bleeding long enough to coagulate.

Good luck I how all is well soon, hopefully someone with more practical experience can offer some advice I am just going from what my gf has mentioned (she was a vet nurse)

Make up a soak of saline solution salt water. Few shakes of salt to a mug of warm - not hot - water. Taste it. It should be just a bit salty.

Apply a compress of flannel or cotton wool soaked in the saline solution to the wound with firm, not hard, pressure for a minute or so. Repeat until the bleeding stops.

Th saline solution will not sting and is a good antiseptic. It won't harm your dog if he licks the wound afterwards (which is antiseptic in itself).

The pressure should be enough to stop the bleeding. It may bleed for a day or two afterwards so I wouldn't plan any long activities today or tomorrow. Your dog should be comfortable with this treatment - unlike any kind of cautery (like styptic pencil). and it will heal fast enough.

One of mine cut her front pad last week. With the same treatment she was back out the next day. I repeated the treatment and she was healing well within two days. Ears, pads and nails bleed loads when they are injured. This shows that they are well supplied with blood vessels, and while the mess is a bit inconvenient it also means that because they are highly vascularised they also heal really fast.

Edited by Taz-n-Lily

My bitch has snapped two of her nails off her two back paws the last couple of weeks, they were snapped right off bleeding and obviously causing her some discomfort. I just cleaned them up with warm water and a flannel/cotton buds then sprinkled on some vetzyme antibacterial powder that i bought from pets at home for a few quid. Its done the trick for my dog. Hope you get yours sorted soon

if the nail is off ,keep it clean and let it heal ,you take dog out and it will get infected .

Not true.

A saline soak and letting dog lick wound will deal with any infection - unless the dog is otherwise unwell and it's immune system is compromised,

:laugh: .....ok, I just made it up......your last part is bit of a get out of jail card for saying a saline soak and dog licking wound will deal with any infection ,as if the dogs lamping fit/ worked hard, theres a very fine line with immune system and it being compromised .dont you think?

Edited by DEERMAN

cheers for the comments did wrap it with a bandage but hes had it off in the night the bleedings stopped but hes still not comfortable putting his weight down, its been ripped out can see where it was and theres a gash below ill keep him in a day or two and take him to vet if he no better in a day or so thanks again

if the nail is off ,keep it clean and let it heal ,you take dog out and it will get infected .

Not true.

A saline soak and letting dog lick wound will deal with any infection - unless the dog is otherwise unwell and it's immune system is compromised,

:laugh: .....ok, I just made it up......your last part is bit of a get out of jail card for saying a saline soak and dog licking wound will deal with any infection ,as if the dogs lamping fit/ worked hard, theres a very fine line with immune system and it being compromised .dont you think?

Not at all. You said the dog would get infected if it was taken out. I said not, is all.

cheers for the comments did wrap it with a bandage but hes had it off in the night the bleedings stopped but hes still not comfortable putting his weight down, its been ripped out can see where it was and theres a gash below ill keep him in a day or two and take him to vet if he no better in a day or so thanks again

No need for a bandage, let the dog lick it, and saline soaks will help.

Your dog, your call though.

The vet will probably give your dog an antibiotic jab, make him wear a lampshade, and have you back for a checkup "just to make sure". In my experience, totally unnecessary and a waste of money.

• Like 1