I've been hearing about the odd dog dying because of bones splintering in their stomach, now, from what I can see it seems to be cooked bones that cause the problem or bones without any meat on them. I have a Doberman, not your traditional hunting dog I know, which I feed whole rabbits and I give him some beef bones I get from the local butcher every so often. I was wondering if any of you had any experience with this happening (I hope not) or think I should just cut the meat of the bones to feed him.

Gnipper is spot on. All bones are skeletal and therefor all carry weight but avoid leg bones like the plague as the prolonged high intestity stress they are subjected to casues them to splinter when gnashed on. Cooked ones are like sticks anyway.

i think you will find its cooked bones that cause problems ,things like them cooked nuckle bones from pet shops or cooked bones left over from sunday dinner .cooking them drys them right out and they splinter like glass and are razor sharp.

ive fed 3 dogs raw for over 4yrs and never had a problem ,ive fed them full rabbit,lamb bones ,chicken carcass ,ox tail ,turkey necks and just about anything else i can pick up cheap enough . my younges dogs 2 and a 1/2 years old and he has never eaten anything else but raw meaty bones ..never had any problems........jim