....knitting With Spun Polyester....

awrite lads :victory: ....i have been knitting nets for a good while now,and i have used all sorts of twine.while using all the different colours of spun poly i noticed that they are very different.......when i am using say for example- yellow it is quite smooth and a pleasure to knit with,but when i use some other colours say- aqua blue it is a bit more course compared to the yellow.......i have used all the colours agouti has had over the past couple of years(quality gear)....i don't know if this is something to do with they are spun or dyed maybe? :hmm: ....but i have noticed a difference,and i will really only knit certain colours now.....to keep my fingers in one peice :laugh: ....just wondering if any you lads have noticed this?......or have a preffered type,colour to knit?......atb.....

It may be the type of dye that is being used. The change in colour is actually usually a chemical reaction, so it is perfectly plausible that some will become more course or smoother after being dyed. Because the colour of the dye is related to the chemical present, it may affect the nylon a small amount, but the shade of colours itself may not have any relation (i.e Darker colours being more course) as it's all down to the chemical. It's alot like the colour of flames when you oxidise certain metals. For example Barium burns green coloured, while potassium, which is also an alkaline metal burns lilac coloured.

Hope this helps (and I may be completely wrong if they're not dyed like this, but this is how most dyes work).

Atb, BB

i got an answer on the other thread from tiercel......

Polyester is hydophobic it repels water. To get the dye to take you need to open up the fibres of the yarn to allow the dye to penetrate the yarn. For the fibres to open up the yarn needs to reach a tempreture of 160C. The boiling point of water is 100C so other types of heat must be applied to allow the yarn to be dyed. It is the dying process that makes spunpolyester so expensive. White undyed is very cheap.

makes sense :thumbs:.....atb....