Advice On Recall And Basic Training

Okay so my lurcher is 14 month old now, mentally he's still a puppy but physically looks like an adult. Anyway his last owner didn't really teach him recall or to do basic dog training like sit, stay ect.. Anyway I've sort of being teaching him, will his recall come more natural as he catches more or will i need to train it? If so how? Also is he too old to be taught to sit and stay because I've been teaching him for the past 2 days and he's been getting the hang of it. Any advice is appreciated. Cheers

i think you've answered your own question their mate...you say its coming on, so yes he'll get it soon enough(if your doing it right).

As for recall, i believe its the most important thing any dog should learn, as its the base for all further training. i wouldn't even working in the field until the recall is sorted. what happens if he decides to just feck off.

he should also be broken to livestock prior to any hunting mate.

You say the last owner didn't do much with him, so he's probably missed out some special man/dog time. let him be a puppy for a while, let him enjoy life for a bit.

i think you've answered your own question their mate...you say its coming on, so yes he'll get it soon enough(if your doing it right).

As for recall, i believe its the most important thing any dog should learn, as its the base for all further training. i wouldn't even working in the field until the recall is sorted. what happens if he decides to just feck off.

he should also be broken to livestock prior to any hunting mate.

Well he comes back when i've shouted him its just when he catches something he decides to do on haha and starts mauling it.

I think i've sort of worded my first post wrong. He's a good dog caught many of rabbits already, he's just a bit ignorant sometimes. Basic stuff like Sit, stay ect.. i dont care about but his recall isnt as bad as what i think i've said it is. He comes back once i've slipped him and the rabbit may have got lucky it's just when he does catch he tends to run away from me like as if he wants me to chase him or something.