fast set longnet system

OH that one you used was the proto type, send me your details and i will gladly send you one free of charge, let me know how you get on with it. :yes:

You can't teach an old dog new tricks.. :no::laugh: ...I think you should send it to me instead... :whistling:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Master hunter, a couple of points that I would raise....

Firstly, I can’t see what the problem you have with fibreglass poles is. I live not a stones throw from you, so am on similar ground, chalk, flint etc and I have no problems getting the poles in the ground. Admittedly I have to re-sharpen the poles once in a while, but I would think that the same would be for any material if used frequently.

Powder coat must inevitably wear off with the constant abrasion against sharp flints and stones in this area? And thus your poles will corrode in the end.

Secondly, I can’t see how your design of basket differs from the other commercially available baskets on the market. The main flaw that I have found, is that when leaning over to get the poles in hard ground, the poles will tend to end up on the floor and the net will stay in the basket. Not a good combination.

I have designed and made my own type of basket, not perfect by any means, but it does solve the problem of the poles wanting to fall out when at an angle to the ground.

I only make these baskets for friends, so I am not in competition with you, nor do I have an axe to grind with you, I am merely pointing out some short falls in your system that maybe could be rectified.

Regards

TBF.

_MG_7532resize.jpg

TBF, I use steel poles as I have found they do push into the ground much easier than 3/8 or1/2" fibreglass, they dont flex as pressure is exerted on the top of the pole, fibreglass do.I have used steel poles for the last 18 yrs, I have never had to resharpen one, or replace one because of rusting. The original finish on my poles is chrome, I have them powder coated green to camoflague them, you are correct about the powder coating wearing off, but this is only off the first few inchs of the pole, which is underground when your net is in use anyway.

My basket principle is completely different from the commercially made ones on the market, as their holding platform for the poles, are on the same level as the basket top. Mine is 6" below it. This mechanically makes the poles lift out of their platform into your hands, as the strain is tightened through the top and bottom lines as the net is run out.

As to having to lean over to get the poles into hard ground, obviously you are still using fibreglass poles. With steel poles at 40" long you do not have to do this.

If, as you say you only live a stones throw away, contact me with a PM and I'll gladly meet with you and give you a demonstration and try and sort your problems with using my net system out.

Regards masterhunter

£40 for a 10 yard stop net :cry: feck me alan were only rabbit catchers. not premier footballers :D .

now i like alans basket , we have a copy . and like all good inventions its simmple.

but a 10 yard stop net for ferreting dont need owt else but 3 hazel pegs. and it certainly dont need to be £40 :no:

Firstly, I can’t see what the problem you have with fibreglass poles is. I live not a stones throw from you, so am on similar ground, chalk, flint etc and I have no problems getting the poles in the ground. Admittedly I have to re-sharpen the poles once in a while, but I would think that the same would be for any material if used frequently.

Powder coat must inevitably wear off with the constant abrasion against sharp flints and stones in this area? And thus your poles will corrode in the end.

Secondly, I can’t see how your design of basket differs from the other commercially available baskets on the market. The main flaw that I have found, is that when leaning over to get the poles in hard ground, the poles will tend to end up on the floor and the net will stay in the basket. Not a good combination.

I have designed and made my own type of basket, not perfect by any means, but it does solve the problem of the poles wanting to fall out when at an angle to the ground.

I only make these baskets for friends, so I am not in competition with you, nor do I have an axe to grind with you, I am merely pointing out some short falls in your system that maybe could be rectified.

Regards

TBF.

_MG_7532resize.jpg

good points raised :clapper::clapper:

Regards

TBF.

_MG_7532resize.jpg

TBF, I use steel poles as I have found they do push into the ground much easier than 3/8 or1/2" fibreglass, they dont flex as pressure is exerted on the top of the pole, fibreglass do.I have used steel poles for the last 18 yrs, I have never had to resharpen one, or replace one because of rusting. The original finish on my poles is chrome, I have them powder coated green to camoflague them, you are correct about the powder coating wearing off, but this is only off the first few inchs of the pole, which is underground when your net is in use anyway.

My basket principle is completely different from the commercially made ones on the market, as their holding platform for the poles, are on the same level as the basket top. Mine is 6" below it. This mechanically makes the poles lift out of their platform into your hands, as the strain is tightened through the top and bottom lines as the net is run out.

As to having to lean over to get the poles into hard ground, obviously you are still using fibreglass poles. With steel poles at 40" long you do not have to do this.

If, as you say you only live a stones throw away, contact me with a PM and I'll gladly meet with you and give you a demonstration and try and sort your problems with using my net system out.

Regards masterhunter

i wonder how much heavier your poles are compaired to fibre glass ?

not being funny but i like all my gear light as possible because sometime i may walk a couple of miles with all my gear and the last thing i want is more weight...

£40 for a 10 yard stop net :cry: feck me alan were only rabbit catchers. not premier footballers :D .

now i like alans basket , we have a copy . and like all good inventions its simmple.

but a 10 yard stop net for ferreting dont need owt else but 3 hazel pegs. and it certainly dont need to be £40 :no:

TOMO, I think you should get glasses!! my stop nets are 20yds long, with a leaded bottom line and come complete with three steel poles and a bag AND a DVD. I've seen adverts from bb 25yd trad net £27.00. Doesn't really make mine expensive.

Masterhunter

who can recomend an optition :icon_redface: clasic example of reading things twice, before i open my big fat mouth.

please accept my humble apologies masterhunter, i dont know where i got 10 yard from.

ile get my coat TOMO :icon_redface:

who can recomend an optition :icon_redface: clasic example of reading things twice, before i open my big fat mouth.

please accept my humble apologies masterhunter, i dont know where i got 10 yard from.

TOMO, apology accepted. I'm having a stand at weston Park (gamekeepers Row ) come and see me and I'll show you my nets.

regards Alan (masterhunter)

Regards

TBF.

_MG_7532resize.jpg

Regards masterhunter

i wonder how much heavier your poles are compaired to fibre glass ?

not being funny but i like all my gear light as possible because sometime i may walk a couple of miles with all my gear and the last thing i want is more weight...

Woodchip, As you asked the question I weighed them today. A 1/2" fibreglass pole weights 8 1/2 oz one of my steel poles weights 5oz. This means on a 12 pole net my poles save you just over 2 1/2 lbs.Hope this answers your question.

Masterhunter

TOMO, apology accepted. I'm having a stand at weston Park (gamekeepers Row ) come and see me and I'll show you my nets.

regards Alan (masterhunter)

do you mean the midland, i always go. see ya there.

brinded does that show as well , that will piss him off :laugh: TOMO :)

• 2 weeks later...
You just gota love them action shots :clapper:

Makes me want to get back out there, instead of sitting on my arse waiting for nothing to happen.

_MG_7370resize.jpg

crackin picture....

I believe we met at the welsh at SimonW's stand... I think you had a cannon 350d round your neck all day on that ocassion..

all the Best Mr. Edgey

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Big Fish
I believe we met at the welsh at SimonW's stand... I think you had a cannon 350d round your neck all day on that ocassion..

all the Best Mr. Edgey

Probably, was i pissed?

Yea the camera has been perminantly attached by surgical proceedure, i wouldnt reccomend it! Everytime i blink the flash goes off :blink: