Spotted Fly Catchers

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:) Just a quickie. I'm sure I mentioned I had Spot' Fly's nesting on my ground and showed ye the eggs? Well, anyway, I determined to leave them well alone to get on with it. I treasure these little birds presance and didn't want to disturb them. Thus I grabbed that quick shot of the clutch of five and just stayed the hell away from there.

Only yesterday, having seen one of the adults carrying food and seeing no sign of the brooder, I sneaked out there and grabbed a swift record shot. Turned out damn well too, I think. I honestly don't know how many are in there and I'm not pushing to find out. But here's a look at some at least. I'm amazed at how time's flown!

Spotted Fly Catchers

156024531489.JPG

:good:

nice one d/s. not seen any this year, sadly becoming scarcer, gone are the days when you could find several nests in a small area. any turtle doves about? [another declining species] that are still being shot on migration by our EUROPEAN NEIGHBOURS

Guest Ditch_Shitter

Don't get me started on 'European' practices, mate! As ye'd know; Some of those b*stards will wipe out ~ with a few ounces of lead of a few yards of Mist net ~ what our lot can't do anything for with the millions of quid per annum we chuck at preserving the poor buggers! :censored:

Case in point; Last summer it seemed like every little, gray movement around my paddock was a Spot Fly. One year ago! This summer? ONE PAIR!!! I don't know and, frankly, I don't f*cking Care what's happened to them. All I know is that they're no longer around and all I care about is that they obviously no longer exist To be around!

With House Sparrows and Starlings in free fall decline; What hope is there for stuff like the beautiful little Spot Fly and the probably soon lost completely Aquatic Warbler?

Over here we have programmes ~ as do some Scottish islands ~ to promote small scale farming practices aimed at improving the lot of the breeding Corn Crakes. But what good is that when the poor b*stards have to run the gauntlett of some continental european din's to get here and breed ~ then get blown away, for fun and penile enhancement ~ on the way back? :censored:

YES! God, it f*cks me off! :angry:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

I honestly haven't got a clue what they're doing, JD. I'm seeing the adult birds around this afternoon, but no way am I going hear that nest.

They've ~ by chance ~ chosen a spot within an enclosure where Small Dog never really seems to go. Unless I go in there. So, if I gi into that pen to check and they either explode or else have jumped on time and are still anywhere about? It could only end in tragedy.

I'll just keep a discreet eye out for any youngsters I may spot in the coming week :)

:) Just a quickie. I'm sure I mentioned I had Spot' Fly's nesting on my ground and showed ye the eggs? Well, anyway, I determined to leave them well alone to get on with it. I treasure these little birds presance and didn't want to disturb them. Thus I grabbed that quick shot of the clutch of five and just stayed the hell away from there.

Only yesterday, having seen one of the adults carrying food and seeing no sign of the brooder, I sneaked out there and grabbed a swift record shot. Turned out damn well too, I think. I honestly don't know how many are in there and I'm not pushing to find out. But here's a look at some at least. I'm amazed at how time's flown!

Spotted Fly Catchers

156024531489.JPG

:good:

:clapping: Great pics ditch, keep them coming :notworthy::notworthy::thumbs:

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:unsure: Errrrr ..... Update: I checked the nest site through my bin's, from inside the cow shed. Nothing happening there so I sneaked out while Small Dog was having her dinner. Nest is completely empty. Somehow has the air about it of a nest that's been empty for some time.

I have a horrible feeling :( JD; What do ye reckon they could've jumped earlier than ye expected? Like, beginning of the week. Like ..... when I woke up and felt moved to write that " Rude Awakening " post?

Only, FastDogz asked me on there, last night, what bird I figured she'd gotten hold of. I suggested robin as it's the only other bird of that size and basic wing colour nesting round here. But I haven't seen a young robin for ages. I was bluffing myself there. Trying to reassure myself that my Spot Flys were all still safely in that nest. And that Small Dog hadn't got amongst them as they jumped :cry:

And I've been watching adult Spot's today. I'm yet to notice a youngster :no:

I Have To believe I just haven't noticed them!

:unsure: Errrrr ..... Update: I checked the nest site through my bin's, from inside the cow shed. Nothing happening there so I sneaked out while Small Dog was having her dinner. Nest is completely empty. Somehow has the air about it of a nest that's been empty for some time.

I have a horrible feeling :( JD; What do ye reckon they could've jumped earlier than ye expected? Like, beginning of the week. Like ..... when I woke up and felt moved to write that " Rude Awakening " post?

Only, FastDogz asked me on there, last night, what bird I figured she'd gotten hold of. I suggested robin as it's the only other bird of that size and basic wing colour nesting round here. But I haven't seen a young robin for ages. I was bluffing myself there. Trying to reassure myself that my Spot Flys were all still safely in that nest. And that Small Dog hadn't got amongst them as they jumped :cry:

And I've been watching adult Spot's today. I'm yet to notice a youngster :no:

I Have To believe I just haven't noticed them!

Good Photo Ditchie ,

Unfortunatly our Fly catchers havn't returned this year