Gone gun shy

Had my malamute X out since he has his jabs mooching about and got him retrieving pigeon rabbits etc that I shot, he's never been bothered about the noise of a gun before but since bonfire night and all the fireworks he doesn't like the bang now. He doesn't run off but I just tell he is not happy because he goes into him self. Do you think he will get over it and keep taking him shooting or should I start leaving him at home? Has anyone had a dog get over this? Thanks.

Get these CDs to desensitise him again: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sounds-Scary-phobias-including-fireworks/dp/B000XPA5MU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1354459578&sr=1-1

Also, he is at the second fear stage some pups go through: which often happens around the 10-12 month mark. Just be easy on him, but keep exposing him to bangs which aren't too loud, and don't fuss over him if he's scared. Just act as normal. Fireworks are a completely different thing to gun shot: the sound seems to come from every where, and its worse because it is usually at night in the dark when the dog can't reference the noise so easily.

Thanks, it may not have been the fireworks but its just happened at the same time. He didn't seen bothered by them at the time. My two brothers and I put our own pheasants down so we shoot on Saturdays and he's been doing so well putting them up and retrieving them be a shame to stop now but didn't want to make him nervous. Thanks again.

similar thing happend to my wheatenxbitch at 11 month, she went throo a stage a being really highly strung and an old van backfired one day we was hunting a quarry, i spoke to a few guys that train gundogs an they told me to gee dog a few weeks off till she was 13 month ish, an start again from start, 1 even geed me a wee cap gun that kids use then i went to air rifle an then a starter pistol, by time she was 15 month she was back to her old self, an would switch on at the sound of a gun, i expect all my dogs to work with a gun :thumbs:

similar thing happend to my wheatenxbitch at 11 month, she went throo a stage a being really highly strung and an old van backfired one day we was hunting a quarry, i spoke to a few guys that train gundogs an they told me to gee dog a few weeks off till she was 13 month ish, an start again from start, 1 even geed me a wee cap gun that kids use then i went to air rifle an then a starter pistol, by time she was 15 month she was back to her old self, an would switch on at the sound of a gun, i expect all my dogs to work with a gun :thumbs:

ive heard of these points before never really had to worry about it before. It's not a massive thing if he is gun shy because he does everything else I ask of him and does what I got him for but taking him out shooting is a bonus and another dog on the ground for pushing cover through and extra exercise for him.thanks for help.