Found this big fella on the road outside my house this evening and picked it up to stop it getting squashed. Took a few pics when I put it out in the gardeh. I'm guessing some kind of hawk moth but can someone identify it properly?

cheers.........

mothonhand.jpg

2004_0313Mothpics0012.jpg

2004_0313Mothpics0010.jpg

Edited by Borderer

Ayup Ditch do they come in two colours as i live under a great line of poplars and theres them and some with white on em im sure ive seen em coupled.

Great big green caterpillars on me lawn every year :blink: i reckon there theirs as well.

Edited by juckler123
Guest Ditch_Shitter

:unsure: I'm far from even a decent amateur with moths, Jooks. I just have a couple of books and like trying to identify them as and when I happen upon them mate. All I can find here is that they do have those white markings on the wings. There is a buff form of them. And females are generally lighter coloured. That's all straight out of a book I just checked in.

The catapillers sound right anyway. Spike on their bums?

Yep Ditch thems the catterpillars about 3 inches in length we get grey ones too that are about a third again bigger havent a clue what they are.

Just had a look on the net and it reckons the poplar moth sometimes display a light colour on its wings that is hidden most of the time that will be what ive seen it looked odd when they were coupled like two different moths each time there would be one like the one in borderers pic and another with light bits which was bigger so happen its the male displaying.

Cracking things though well impressive.

Edited by juckler123