can anyone help plz [ breeding went wrong ]

HI folks im looking for a little advice if you can possibly help plz ,anyway i mated my border terrier x lakeland bitch to a well known stud dog i was trying to improve my lines was only looking for little ratting dogs to be honest and tidy my lines up i went to the best possible line i could get in england and the dog serviced mt bitch no bother. anyway my girl had 3 puppies and were ok at birth until 3 weeks old when there eyes opened my friend said they dont look right hes bred dogs for many years and has never seen it before they were very cloudy blue colour at 4 weeks they could hardly open there eyes due to gunky sticky stuff is all i can explain there legs were shaking aswell .one of the puppies chests was very badly it was like a vacum going in and out quickly the other its leg was turned out ways and the little bitch was very over shot they were coughing aswell so i took them to the vets for a check up at 4 weeks and she said they were ok but my friend disagreed and told her theres more to it than that she disagreed my friend asked if it could be keritis she said dont think so .anyway the puppies reached 7 weeks i was doing them with antibiotic eye cream to see if it was conjunctavitis and washing them with eye cleaner BUT still no improvement .so i took them back to the vets and the dogs were blind cataracts was diagnosed and neurological issues . i got my bitch blood tested ect just in case something was up with my bitch i got the all clear from the vets with my bitch costing £400 which her blood count ect was fine aswell no infections ect.he asked how she was bred i explained to him that my friend had a lakeland bitch of the same lines he bred it to his friends border bitch ,no troubles with puppies all was well.but my friends lakeland died only 3 months after getting it he noticed that the dog was struggling to breath he said it was like a vacum its belly went out and in quickly and struggled for breath he took it to his vets and got full examination from top to bottom the dog was in excellent condition but he said there was a problem with his respitory system. so the dog got steroid tablets for so many days to see if it would improve .anyway the dog died next day and tests were done on the dog .[REPORT SAID TO INBRED] i put my bitch back to the same father as his dog and this is what i got [ blind dogs] i got a bitch of the same line the boy got his dog of the same guy bred it to a outcast i bought one i had eye problems with that but luckily enough it pulled through. my vets said [genetic problem on the sires side ] is this possible just your thoughts as i feel as if ive done something wrong .oops just to say my bitch had kenell cough while whelping the puppies do you think that caused the bent legs ,bad respitory system,cataracts, neurological issues with the shaking and over shot mouths ??????.im confused at the end of the day all my puppies died and im gutted to bits . my kids are heart broken do you think im entitled to my stud fee back ???? dont want any bother just simple suggestions on what you think went wrong if you think the vets right. my friend put his bitch to the same sire it was a outcast and there stunning .as i say i woulnt like to think ive did something wrong but if i have fair enough i will learn with my mistakes. kind regards

muppett russel. and it is a muppett lol.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

unfortunately not all litters go to plan when breeding...........you should never count your chickens or get kids involved when breeding a litter as anything can happen as you sadly found out, i defin

I had a very similar experience breeding the lurcher in my picture, I bred her with another handy lurcher (no relation) and every thing was going fine in the pregnancy and when she gave birth to 11 pu

I'm a little confused about the breeding specifics too but...   It could be the result of two recessive genes combining but both parents would need to carry at least one copy of the gene for it to b

HI folks im looking for a little advice if you can possibly help plz ,anyway i mated my border terrier x lakeland bitch to a well known stud dog i was trying to improve my lines was only looking for little ratting dogs to be honest and tidy my lines up i went to the best possible line i could get in england and the dog serviced mt bitch no bother. anyway my girl had 3 puppies and were ok at birth until 3 weeks old when there eyes opened my friend said they dont look right hes bred dogs for many years and has never seen it before they were very cloudy blue colour at 4 weeks they could hardly open there eyes due to gunky sticky stuff is all i can explain there legs were shaking aswell .one of the puppies chests was very badly it was like a vacum going in and out quickly the other its leg was turned out ways and the little bitch was very over shot they were coughing aswell so i took them to the vets for a check up at 4 weeks and she said they were ok but my friend disagreed and told her theres more to it than that she disagreed my friend asked if it could be keritis she said dont think so .anyway the puppies reached 7 weeks i was doing them with antibiotic eye cream to see if it was conjunctavitis and washing them with eye cleaner BUT still no improvement .so i took them back to the vets and the dogs were blind cataracts was diagnosed and neurological issues . i got my bitch blood tested ect just in case something was up with my bitch i got the all clear from the vets with my bitch costing £400 which her blood count ect was fine aswell no infections ect.he asked how she was bred i explained to him that my friend had a lakeland bitch of the same lines he bred it to his friends border bitch ,no troubles with puppies all was well.but my friends lakeland died only 3 months after getting it he noticed that the dog was struggling to breath he said it was like a vacum its belly went out and in quickly and struggled for breath he took it to his vets and got full examination from top to bottom the dog was in excellent condition but he said there was a problem with his respitory system. so the dog got steroid tablets for so many days to see if it would improve .anyway the dog died next day and tests were done on the dog .[REPORT SAID TO INBRED] i put my bitch back to the same father as his dog and this is what i got [ blind dogs] i got a bitch of the same line the boy got his dog of the same guy bred it to a outcast i bought one i had eye problems with that but luckily enough it pulled through. my vets said [genetic problem on the sires side ] is this possible just your thoughts as i feel as if ive done something wrong .oops just to say my bitch had kenell cough while whelping the puppies do you think that caused the bent legs ,bad respitory system,cataracts, neurological issues with the shaking and over shot mouths ??????.im confused at the end of the day all my puppies died and im gutted to bits . my kids are heart broken do you think im entitled to my stud fee back ???? dont want any bother just simple suggestions on what you think went wrong if you think the vets right. my friend put his bitch to the same sire it was a outcast and there stunning .as i say i woulnt like to think ive did something wrong but if i have fair enough i will learn with my mistakes. kind regards

sorry to hear about the pups mate is he still using the dog at stud.

I'm a little confused about the breeding specifics too but...

It could be the result of two recessive genes combining but both parents would need to carry at least one copy of the gene for it to be expressed in the pups. If that is the case then only 25% of the litter would be effected. To get a higher instance then one or both of the parents would need to carry two copies of the recessive gene and then they would be ill themselves.

If it's a dominant gene then it would occur regularly in that line so a genetic cause seems unlikely.

My suspicion is that some sort of pathogen is responsible. You mention that the bitch had kennel cough whilst whelping, that would be a good place to start investigating (but perhaps not the last).

• Like 2

somewhere along the lines either with yours or the stud --- theres been a problem thats now showed its self could be 3 or 4 generations back if you dont know the full breeding of either lines its a risk you take ...i would`nt rule out the problem in the bitchs line ...........just my view ..

I'm a little confused about the breeding specifics too but...

It could be the result of two recessive genes combining but both parents would need to carry at least one copy of the gene for it to be expressed in the pups. If that is the case then only 25% of the litter would be effected. To get a higher instance then one or both of the parents would need to carry two copies of the recessive gene and then they would be ill themselves.

If it's a dominant gene then it would occur regularly in that line so a genetic cause seems unlikely.

My suspicion is that some sort of pathogen is responsible. You mention that the bitch had kennel cough whilst whelping, that would be a good place to start investigating (but perhaps not the last).

many thanks for your reply much appreciated indeed kind regards the muppet russel.

sorry to hear about the pups mate is he still using the dog at stud.

i m gutted mate a lot of time money and effort wasted and nowt to show for it .

And in no way am i having any report would come back saying, TO INBRED "BOLLOCKS".

Another thing that doesn't make sense is you've mated a bitch to a bitch !!! Well done, could you show me how you did it.

read what i wrote my bitch to a dog in england which was his granparent.

kind regards

Read it yourself, your friend had a lakey bitch which he bred to a friends border bitch.