Pike Fishing.

Hows everyone getting on with the pike this year so far?

Mine has been abit slow to start with, only been catching a few jacks, nothing to shout about and ive had plenty of blanked sessions!

But this weekends trip resulted in my mate catching the biggest pike ive ever seen! Seeing a fish this size makes all the blanking sessions worth it even if i didnt catch the fish myself!

Anyone like to guess the weight?

photo41.jpg

photo43.jpg

We pulled this out of its mouth while we was unhooking it! Some sort of bird, i presumme it was dead before the pike munched on it!

photo42.jpg

The day finished with two Jacks about 4.5lb and the above beast!

How often do you think pike this size will come out if they are there in the water?

• Like 1

looks like a coot was for dinner before you had it out. The big girls often hunt waterbirds :thumbs:

Looks to be around 25lb to me

Had a load of pike this year, 5 of us had 31 between us on a weeks trip to norfolk broads.

14 doubles with best being 19lb 7oz, 2 of us had 3 doubles in a day too!

The first rule of piking is not to tell people your top ways as then everyone will be at it. It takes plenty of time to learn the water properly, where the bait fish are is where the pike will be, find the small stuff and they wont be far away :thumbs: If deads are to be used then smelt is a good bet. Don't discount small baits like sprats though. Obviously live baits are the best for pike. I will often use 1lb+ liveys where allowed. Had a pike of 9lb hit a 1lb skimmer bream the other week but the 18lbr i had before that took one the size of my palm so less than 8oz. Rigs make a difference, single hooks are good on pressured waters, i usually use 2 singles these days, line colour makes a difference its all down to experimenting with where you fish and putting the time in. :yes:

• Like 1