reloading cartridges for shotgun

• 3 weeks later...

• 1 month later...

they do on the long run but not that much.

I use very expensive powder and make a £20 save every 1000 shells. Said that I don't load cheap catridges, I load 27, 30 & 34 grams in 20g (which are: normal, heavy and magnum loads)I suppose I could save more with a cheaper powder and loads of 24-26grams.

I remember when "normal" was 23gram!

I now shoot 21gram light, 24 gram normal and 28 gram heavy!! Aargh, how old am I getting. :):laugh:

I use very expensive powder and make a £20 save every 1000 shells. Said that I don't load cheap catridges, I load 27, 30 & 34 grams in 20g (which are: normal, heavy and magnum loads)I suppose I could save more with a cheaper powder and loads of 24-26grams.

I now shoot 21gram light, 24 gram normal and 28 gram heavy!! Aargh, how old am I getting. :):laugh:

It's my passion for reloading mate, I load too many light loads I got tired!! :laugh:

Seriously, for the places i shoot 27 is the minimum acceptable coz pigeon fly high then 30 for rough shooting and 32-35 for geese!

I am not lucky enough to have several permission and be able to choose the best one so, I need to make every shot count otherwise the missus :whistling:

It's my passion for reloading mate, I load too many light loads I got tired!! :laugh:

Seriously, for the places i shoot 27 is the minimum acceptable coz pigeon fly high then 30 for rough shooting and 32-35 for geese!

I am not lucky enough to have several permission and be able to choose the best one so, I need to make every shot count otherwise the missus :whistling:

I'm not knocking you at all, but at one time I had to do with 23 gram for everything, as the 20g Alphamax were impossible to get where I lived as a youngster. If I was very lucky somebody would sell me a case of Winchester Ranger 26g which were my favourite 20 bore carts ever!!! The crimp was sealed and they were hard on the quarry as well as the shoulder through a lightweight AYA no 3.

Times change. I still shoot loads of pigeons and crows (and even the occasional and opportune fox) with 16gr 28 bore carts!

Why do we need heavy carts!!!

I personally wouldn't shot a 23gr to a geese flying by... pigeon are alright over decoys, but say on a roost on the edge of a thick pine tree, I wouldn't shoot them either with that load risking to get them into the wood, woonded, and not being able to find them,

I am pretty sure you have lots of success with 23gr (or 16 in 28cal) same as I had on .410 it all depends on the situation for me.

Here, my personal situation dictate that I need certain loads to make sure I land the quarry and not loos it.

On acers of stubble I'd be more than happ to use 24gr but I don't have them on my permission so....

Cheers, Franco