Bala lake

I'm after a bit of info on fishing bala lake, i have fished the river as close to the lake but i've only fished the lake a bit, after info on pike, but also interested in other catches ie. roach, bream, trout whatever it is about the fish in the lake it is all part of learning more about it, met a few lad's when they come onto the river after some trout for livebait's, they were saying your better of with livebait's but they had a couple on smelt, not sure what size they have been caught from there but there must of been a few big girl's come out over the year's, any info welcome, thanks.

Guest bullterrier

billy bala is a hard water had really good days there and some blanks at times but the views make up for it i think its an all out feeder venue one place we fished on bala was 10-15 foot of water say about 20yards go out another ten yards and you could be in 100 foot of water billy i would put a couple of feeders of groundbait out clipped up with caster red maggots and and worm squatts for the feeder no need for light hooklenghts the fish are not hook shy while your waiting for the fish to start feeding put your pike rods out with dead baits the main fish you will catch are roach perch bream grayling trout char eels and pike biggest pike have seen there was 18lb ill see if me mates still got the farmers number we fished on his land :thumbs: john

I used to fish the river regular for trout and grayling on the fly on evans farm, but i fancy having a go for the pike in the lake, also further down the dee for pike, it's sounding like a really hard water but the reward's could be great, as you say bull, i think i would have a feeder out while waiting for the pike, i have learned like you say one cast is in 15ft of water and a few feet further can make a hell of a difference, i was looking at a map of the lake showing depth's and there are some very steep drop offs, i am still doing a bit of homework on it but would love to give it a good go, not something you would crack easily and you would need other water's to keep your confidence up, but i like a bit of a challenge, and it is a totally wild water, been going in and around bala since i was a kid.(like most scouser's) i have alway's loved the place.

Spent a few seasons pike fishing Bala, always found you will get a lot more runs on livebait but my biggest always came to deads. Not a hard water but most pike will be under 15lb, if bank fishing as others have said it pays to fish a feeder while piking, will provide bait and as soon as the bites stop usually means a pike is in the swim. If you have access to a boat I would troll until you find some fish or bait shoals. Watch the fishfinder, its a proper glacial lake and has lots of changes drop offs etc. PM'd you some more. Gaz

• Like 1

Thanks for the pm gazjon5.http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Bala_Lake.jpg/240px-Bala_Lake.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bala_Lake&h=180&w=240&sz=5&tbnid=wO3DqEPyvPD9RM:&tbnh=92&tbnw=122&zoom=1&usg=__uiB4XCb-NgTlB0DASPfupgV_3MY=&docid=LNVRwoNexvY5vM&sa=X&ei=VvyUUMCYL8Wi0QX-roHACw&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAA&dur=492