Ferrets that come away froma rabbit

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's a fine balance, I work plenty of deep places, and when a ferrets going 10- 15ft down and then not moving for hours, its frankly a pain in the arse, as I don't want to be digging it or hanging rou

my ferrets never lie up there always worked with a bit of grub in them if they get a rabbit they will kill it and move on if they get one well weged in a block end that they can only claw at they wil

i give my ferrets a small feed before a hunt so they tend not to lay up to long , if they have been laid up and came away i've usually already gotten a fix with the locater and if its handy enough di

As said if the digging is hard then you want one that will move of the rabbit or kill and move on. If the diggings hard then you dont want 1 that will stick. End up with this

DSCF0178.jpg

deep one alright adam : wouldnt get the ferreter doing that because his ferrets NEVER lie up :thumbs:

I would want a sticker that never came away, and personally don't believe there are many that truly do this.

All this talk of digging recently and I had a mark under a oak tree on Sunday 6ft no chance of digging it, the young hob came away after 20 mins, i very happy with that. The same hob killed one in another warren later on at 4ft, I dug him and he must of been on it 15mins or so. That's perfect for me. Keep quiet and try to avoid to much digging is perfect for me :-)

• Like 1

As said if the digging is hard then you want one that will move of the rabbit or kill and move on. If the diggings hard then you dont want 1 that will stick. End up with this

DSCF0178.jpg

deep one alright adam : wouldnt get the ferreter doing that because his ferrets NEVER lie up :thumbs:

that ferret being dug out isnt my line of ferrets its a albino jill whos away to pastures new and she dident lie up just sticks till dug to that ok with you jimmy :thumbs:
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

A good ferret will work on the rabbit to turn it and bolt rather than kill a good ferret will work the rabbits arse and if it fails to shift it move off then quite often the rabbit will turn and move allow the ferret to bolt it :thumbs:

A good ferret will work on the rabbit to turn it and bolt rather than kill a good ferret will work the rabbits arse and if it fails to shift it move off then quite often the rabbit will turn and move allow the ferret to bolt it :thumbs:

I got a wierd one here . . . . she will almost never kill the rabbit straight off. If it wont bolt, she will work at it, until she can get to its head, and then eats the eyes.

DSCF0178.jpg

that ferret being dug out isnt my line of ferrets its a albino jill whos away to pastures new and she dident lie up just sticks till dug to that ok with you jimmy :thumbs:

WHO SAYS IT WAS ?

Do you really believe a good ferret will be trying to turn the rabbit to make it bolt, or trying with every trick up its sleeve to kill it, leaving the rabbit no option resulting in a bolt?

Same with an arsed up rabbit, they know they have met there match, and can hold off all but the most savage of arse eaters preventing death, then they get a break, and get the feck out sharpish every so often, dont think its a choice allowing a ferret to bolt it, just a basic survival instinct to escape when the heat is off for a short while, forced on them by an animal capable of seeing the job out.

Just my thoughts, i do this once every so often, just to see if it still works!

• Like 2
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Do you really believe a good ferret will be trying to turn the rabbit to make it bolt, or trying with every trick up its sleeve to kill it, leaving the rabbit no option resulting in a bolt?

Same with an arsed up rabbit, they know they have met there match, and can hold off all but the most savage of arse eaters preventing death, then they get a break, and get the feck out sharpish every so often, dont think its a choice allowing a ferret to bolt it, just a basic survival instinct to escape when the heat is off for a short while, forced on them by an animal capable of seeing the job out.

Just my thoughts, i do this once every so often, just to see if it still works!

I see dogs work and do things that allows a certain amount of thought so I cant see why ferrets after time will learn to do things they for sure understand that what we do is a working partnership between you dogs and ferrets .

I have seen n countless times when I have dug to a large tube a ferret and seen ferrets working on rabbits and had ample chance to to kill and work over it and flushing .

Terriers do it to foxes so why not ferrets :thumbs:

My ferrets will kill but rarely just like I seen many a folk say nowt home at that bury yet have good ferrets enter behind them and knock a couple out of it :laugh:

The humble ferrets is much underrated and has put far more in the bag than any lurcher has in the last decade for hunters .

ATB Cookie

if a rabbit is assed up tight i have ferrets and have seen others that will chew an scratch through the flesh,

ive dug to assed up rabbits an watched ferrets work um seen some on there back trying to get under the rabbit an some digging at the top of the hole trying to get over it,

and like i said one or two scratch an chew into one,

and plenty walk away some mine some other peoples but none of them stayed with me,

DSCF0178.jpg

was she baying the hour or so you were digging to her then lol atvb james :thumbs:
  • Like 1

if a rabbit is assed up tight i have ferrets and have seen others that will chew an scratch through the flesh,

ive dug to assed up rabbits an watched ferrets work um seen some on there back trying to get under the rabbit an some digging at the top of the hole trying to get over it,

and plenty walk away some mine some other peoples but none of them stayed with me,

What about if ferrets come out of a warren,, that you know a rabbit is home 100%, ??

Rabbits can get them selfs in to some odd places underground, that ferrets can't reach

good ? tomo, i have not nowingly had it happen to me,

im incline to think a decent sized ferret will get any where a rabbit can if it wants to,

not saying mine are special they do what a good ferret should do,

standards are slipping hence the x amount of rubbish about

Like this Lee? this one ends up on his back! Smallish hob though, so struggles in the eating it from the back end! but sticks at it.

th_DSCF1081.jpg