Advice on the right cross for me

Skycat I get where your coming from, to be honest I'm in and out of the truck all day so can just sit in the cab, can't have a cage in the back. I think my wood chipper would seriously terrify it :-)

And I'm not nocking deerhounds at all, iv always fancied a collie/deer/grey but I just want to keep the size down, keep the intelligence and have a bit of brawn to hit cover and run hard. The most important factor though, even though it will work and quiet a lot, it will be a companion. Don't get me wrong I love nothing more than a hard day out hunting, but on the other hand I like a lurcher that can chill out next to me in the pub while having a pint or two or curled up next to me on the sofa after a hard day. I think a lot of people use lurchers as tools now when they are moe than that, when I'm out hunting with my dog I'm hunting with my mate and companion, if I wanted a tool I would take out my .22lr.

I think it's a toss up between a Wheaton or collie first cross. I'm used to being around collies xs and game terriers (but never a terrier based lurcher) so I suppose my question would be... What are Wheaton crosses like at training? I know what collies are like, are wheatons head strong and dominant? Do they need a strong firm handler (and no I'm not talking beatings) I'm just used to sensitive collies.

I'm erring towards a Wheaton cross for a change and something that's more willing to hit cover, but what are they like on rabbits and feather, are the first crosses good at mooching and daytime hunting. I don't lamp.

Cheers

Treefella

i would consider a beddy/greyhound. my old mate had beddy crosses 30 years for the mooching/daytime hunting up game and take feather. hit cover no problem. some were headstrong when young but put the work in and you can end up with a decent dog.generally when mature laid back temperaments. just a opinion. good luck. :thumbs:

• Like 1

wheaten xs to me should be used regulary on fox thats what there bred for and thats what they do well

if it was me id be looking at beddy type lurchers or collie type lurchers or even a cross between the 2 , but most of all a pup out of 2 working parents ..

whatever you decide i think keeping a lurcher pup in a van is a bad idea, maybe its a while since you last reared a lurcher pup and you have forgoten they shit about 20 times a day, not havein a go at you mate but it would not be fair on the pup that just wants to eat shit and run about, and while shes teeding she will chew the seats jmho :thumbs: