disrespecting the land owner

ive been for a drive out today trying to get some shooting permission with my bsa ultra only to come across the land owners not wanting you to go on because they have let people on only for them to to leave gates open and let the cattle out and to knock dry stone walls down and to snap barwire off the posts the thing that gets to me is for the few mindless fools that ruin it for us all anyone else come across this when they are trying to get permission

• Like 3

The thing is Gary, you can well understand their frustration and anger. The last thing they want is another shooter coming on. But, if you let them talk, rant and rave, whatever and get their frustrations off their chests, they will start to see reason again and give you a chance to speak up for yourself. There will be some who will be totally closed off and there's nothing you can do about that.

But, never take it personally. If you can stay the course with them and let them begin to see that you are actually, not responsible for what has happened before, you can use the moment to tell them how you are not there to abuse the privalidge but, would act as a pair of eyes and ears about the farm, ensure gates are closed, walls not damaged, report trespassers etc. you'll earn their trust and respect and they will pass your name on to others who will give you shooting rights on their land too.

Stick at it mate and you'll get a permission. You'll see.

Best of luck in your search.

Pianoman

• Like 3

ive came across this before or something similar i tend to shoot more on golf courses at the moment and alot of people have ruined potential permissions for me by doing the exact thing you say i tryed to get one last week and got told no because the guy they had in doing it before ruined the course so the committee voted not to get anybody in again. getting a farm isnt easy most of the farmers i have spoke to are a bit wiery of letting me on i am lucky however that i have a few refference letters from green keepers and land owners of the permissions i do have and they dont mind if a farmer or green keeper contacts them

• Like 1

this is very true aswell i asked a farmer a while ago if i could shot on his fields as i have the permission for all the fields that surround his farm and he hit out with some crap that u werent aloud to shoot air rifles in the fields what he didnt know and neither did i was that i didnt even need to ask him for the permission for his fields as he rented them of the guy i already had the permission of. i ended up shooting 2 in his bck garden a week later

Edited by ghilliegod12

this is very true aswell i asked a farmer a while ago if i could shot on his fields as i have the permission for all the fields that surround his farm and he hit out with some crap that u werent aloud to shoot air rifles in the fields what he didnt know and neither did i was that i didnt even need to ask him for the permission for his fields as he rented them of the guy i already had the permission of. i ended up shooting 2 in his bck garden a week later

Be careful with that one, mate. Without knowing what his terms of rent are, he may well have the rights to shooting too. just saying :victory:

• Like 2

Aye, that's a good point Andy. :yes:

Still though, the landowner he rents his fields from could put in a good word for our friend here.

My own brother is a funny bugger though. He owns a fabulous spread of farmland covering several hundred acres but, won't let me shoot any of the rabbits that are chewing up his tenant farmer's crops. He doesn't want them shot and that's it, end of argument.

That's why we have yet to visit his fields mate!

• Like 2

Still though, the landowner he rents his fields from could put in a good word for our friend here.

My own brother is a funny bugger though. He owns a fabulous spread of farmland covering several hundred acres but, won't let me shoot any of the rabbits that are chewing up his tenant farmer's crops. He doesn't want them shot and that's it, end of argument.

That's why we have yet to visit his fields mate!

i have a sister who is the same.

• Like 1

If you already have a permission or three then ask the land owners for a reference and then at least you have people's written word on your behaviour and how you deal with things. I got a glowing one from my first permission as I help out with reporting stuff, clearing stuff up that have blown into hedgerows etc and just general updates on the situation.

Once the farmers or land owners have their say then ask if they would be open to a short trial and only in areas they select. That way they aren't committing to anything long term, it gives you a chance to prove yourself and you aren't asking for full access to everything all over the place.

I am still on the rats at one perm and the odd mole issue on another whilst the rabbits are running all over the place because I am on a trial there and if I can prove myself on the long tails and diggers I may be allowed to have a plink at the long ears and the stuff you can eat.

I get called in for all sorts of stuff on my perms from mole trapping to the request last night to deal with the foxes etc and have been invited to BBQs and helped construct chicken coops and fences. It all helps add an extra notch in the belt as they talk with other land owners and your name gets thrown around a fair bit but in a good way of "they are person that can deal with this and that and they are trustworthy and reliable".

It's a good habit to drop em a bottle of something decent at Christmas with a well written sincere card, just to say thanks for the opportunity of accessing your land over the last year, here's to your good health etc

Appreciation goes along way.

• Like 1

haha, this reminds me of my Uncle. He has several fields and a small holding and every time i drive by i used to see dozens of rabbits there. Id ask him about could I shoot them and he said exactly the same as your brother.

That was until a couple of years back when I get this phone call from him asking can I come and shoot the rabbits. I was shocked and asked why and it turned out they had started venturing into his garden and eating all his prize roses and flowers! As well as digging up all his flower beds. hahahaha!!!!!!

Needless to say I was straight around there and sure enough, standing in his conservatory I counted 5 bunnies on his back lawn about 20 ft away from me. They were so used to having the run of things they didnt expect any danger - i had some good bags from there for quite a few weeks until they got a bit nervous....