Barn Owl

ferret_uk

Guest little_lloyd

Is far as i know its illiagal to keep barn owls in the UK.

Barn owls are given the highest level of legal protection possible under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act. Doing or attempting any of the following actions against a wild barn owl is illegal and punishable by a maximum fine, upon conviction, of £5,000:

Barn owls are given the highest level of legal protection possible under the 1981 Wildlife and Countryside Act. Doing or attempting any of the following actions against a wild barn owl is illegal and punishable by a maximum fine, upon conviction, of £5,000:

your wrong.... ;)

your wrong.... ;)

YEP DEAD WRONG,as long as the Barn owl is captive bred with CITES A10 certificate and rung.

WELL LADS ,

A NEIGHBOUR BOUGHT A PAIR A GOOD FEW YRS BACK , STARTED LEAVING THE DOOR OPEN AND THEY WERE ROAMING THE AREA COMING HOME IN THE LATE MORNING , AFTER A WHILE THEY STOPPED AWAY FOR DAYS EVEN THOUGH THERE WAS A VERY GOOD FOOD SUPPLY ....... AND THEN FOUND A BETTER PLACE TO LIVE , EVERY FEW YRS HE DOES THE SAME NOW THERES A GOOD HEALTHY POPULATION OF BARN OWLS IN THIS AREA ......... SOMETHING I LOVE TO SEE ;)

ALL THE BEST

DUCKWING

• 3 weeks later...
Little loyod .. the information you have acquired on barn owl's is a load of shit mate.. as they are all over the country getting legally kept as pet's.. :( ..

Ferret_uk .. Why do you want a barn owl as they will not be of any use as far as falconry goes.. you would be better of getting a magpie as they are good pet's and you will kill more bird's with one of them thing's especially young chick's

Millet

Talk about jumping down peoples throats, obviously little lloyd , is refering to wild birds being taken in and has read the post wrong as the word buying gives it away.

Then you have a go at Ferret Uk as he dosnt even mention hunting or killing with the bird, obviously he dosnt want a f***ing magpie and is just asking advice on keeping the bird on the falconry forum, why slate people instead of giving the advice the bloke is asking for.

Bob

Little loyod .. the information you have acquired on barn owl's is a load of shit mate.. as they are all over the country getting legally kept as pet's.. :( ..

Ferret_uk .. Why do you want a barn owl as they will not be of any use as far as falconry goes.. you would be better of getting a magpie as they are good pet's and you will kill more bird's with one of them thing's especially young chick's

Millet

Talk about jumping down peoples throats, obviously little lloyd , is refering to wild birds being taken in and has read the post wrong as the word buying gives it away.

Then you have a go at Ferret Uk as he dosnt even mention hunting or killing with the bird, obviously he dosnt want a f***ing magpie and is just asking advice on keeping the bird on the falconry forum, why slate people instead of giving the advice the bloke is asking for.

Bob

well put bob mate :clapping: :clapping:

Guest little_lloyd

Bob

Read it again and again and again mate.. and you if you can read through it .. :blink: ..you will know i am not having a go at anybody all i have done is give my opinion which i believe to be correct .. :thumbs: ..

Millet

Ofcourse millet old chap was not having a go :no::no: Just putting it right for the benefit for us all :yes:

Just a couple of my Kids Barn Owl "Ozzy" taken by the sensational MOLLY when she and her beloved Millet was over for a few days! Moll weilds a camera with some conviction. the little barney is a cracker and will flit around and follow the kids backwards and forwards for tit bits, no documentation for these birds like a schedule 4, only a Article 10 requied....

Cracking Owls for Hares these are! Ozzy has many a time had one in each foot :whistling::)....

Cheers

Jasper

post-251-1183505065_thumb.jpg

post-251-1183505090_thumb.jpg

barn owls are really nice looking u do not want a imprint tho .. as it will scream .. i have a friend who's selling 2 captive bonding pair barn owls ... and there still young .. let me know if ur intrested ASAP ... there isn't much to know about barn owls all u need to know is that there not a hunting bird so u will need to fly them to the fist everyday to keep them fit and healthy ... also owls dont have crops so its best to chop up the chicks and feed it bit by bit when flying them ... but if there gonna be in the avairy feed them 1 Doc each a day whole (dos = day old chick) erm pm me if u have any questions ill try my best to answer them :)

thanks

Kurt

Funny you should say that Kurt as the one my kids flick about is a Imprint and its fine, no calling what so ever except when its in breeding condition! mind you it could well be all the Hares and sheep he has killed in the past thats made him grow up a bit :whistling:....

Guest shaheen
barn owls are really nice looking u do not want a imprint tho .. as it will scream .. i have a friend who's selling 2 captive bonding pair barn owls ... and there still young .. let me know if ur intrested ASAP ... there isn't much to know about barn owls all u need to know is that there not a hunting bird so u will need to fly them to the fist everyday to keep them fit and healthy ... also owls dont have crops so its best to chop up the chicks and feed it bit by bit when flying them ... but if there gonna be in the avairy feed them 1 Doc each a day whole (dos = day old chick) erm pm me if u have any questions ill try my best to answer them :)

thanks

Kurt

If you fed one DOC per day youd have an anorexic Barn owl,more like three a day,a medium quail;or half a rat;or two to three mice;or a rabbit back leg.

If you want to fly an owl and follow the advice of Jasper on the basic need's thread ie go on a course etc(as if for a raptor for falconry) first,a non imprint owl would rather die than be trained and if you are a beginner,in which case,the old cry;avoid small species which includes Barn owl's.

Barn owls do not particularly good aviary birds,they like their privicy out of sight.

Guest shaheen
Funny you should say that Kurt as the one my kids flick about is a Imprint and its fine, no calling what so ever except when its in breeding condition! mind you it could well be all the Hares and sheep he has killed in the past thats made him grow up a bit :whistling:....

Dont forget that cracking 300 yard flight to that fit january cock pheasant! :thumbs: ....... :whistling: