32 Counties Champion of Champions, at Barrontop Farm Donemana, Strabane Co Tyrone yesterday Sunday.

We started off from Portdaown yesterday morning at 8.30am, with Mickey Quinn and his son Michael joining us at our house, The morning was bright and clear and no rain in sight at this stage. We stopped off at the Motorway Restuarant near Dungannon for our breakfast and was joined there by Janet Duke ,Tracy Gill,and Deidre and Patsy Mc Coy. After a good breakfast was had by all, and plenty of packing in for the rest of the day, we all headed on our journey to Barrontop Donemana , with trailers and dogs in toe. As we came in sight of Barrontop the heavens opened and the rain came down in bucketfulls. When we arrived in the field at Barrontop, it just looked like the end of the world, because I have never seen rain like it, belting down, and continued all day and on the way home again. There were a few small intervals from the the rain, but only a few. Was I not glad I wore my boots. However, the inclement weather did not dampen the spirits of the show goers who turned out in large numbers. George Mc Gerrigle owner of Barrontop was there helping everybody to get parked safely. Barrontop is a childrens paradise and caters for all childrens,parties and groups all year round with play areas,animal farm,pony and tractor rides, and indoor play area.

There was a good turn out of Terriers, Lurchers ,Whippets, Hounds and Gun Dogs at this show. It was nice to meet some old friends and also some new ones. I met up with Catherine Slevin,husband Matt and of course their little son Luke. Luke is such a nice talkative little boy and a credit to his parents.. Luke you are a star, and I hope you enjoyed your day at Barrontop despite the rain. Concepta Melaugh was there, with her daughter and her little grandaughter Bailey Melaugh. Concepta is always good for a laugh and a laugh we had, By the way Concepta, Big John is eating his words. He went into the pairs class he gave me grief on and won it. You can imagine Concepta what I called him. Sure we women are always right. The Wright family were there from Donegal as was the Farrell family and Gregg Murphy.The Lynch brothers, Gerard and Kieran and son Michael from Strabane.

There were so many other people with families I spoke to on the day,too many to mention and all lovely friendly people out to enjoy the final show of the season at Barrontop. Miles do not keep the Canine folk apart, as some of the folk on the the day travelled from Tipperary, Cork, Donegal,Dublin, Naas Co Dublin, Monaghan,Portadown, Lurgan and Armagh. What a mix , What an interesting sport to be involved in and such a pleasure.

The racing started at approximately 1 oclock. As the weather was so bad at the show on Sunday it was impossible for the ring helpers to write down results. I managed to get a few results at ringside, but if you pm me or email me I will edit them in on this report.

Here are the Racing results I got.

Overs

Pat Lee with " If Only )

Reserve

Shane Gilmartin with Joey

Unders

Fiona Devlin with Diva

Reserve

Nigel Greer with Sunshine

Whippets

Gavin and Ryan Wright with Bolt

Reserve

Michael Quinn with Blue

Terriers ?

Congratulations to all the winners,and well done.

Showing

*Overall Champion Lurcher

Fiona Devlin with Maverick

Reserve

Darren Martin with Missy

*Overall Champion Terrier

Matt Slevin

Reserve

Terry Moore

*Champion Whippet

Davy Best

Reserve

Janet Duke

3/ Jason Dunwoodie

Congratulations to all the winners and well done.

*Overall Best in Show*

Davy Best with Penny

Reserve

Matt Slevin with Mutley

A Big congratulations to both of these men Davy and Matt, and 2 top dogs here. A car load of trophies going back to Annaghmore, Portadown, and Slaney Valley down there in the County Wexford. Well done to both.

Lurcher Pups

Michael Quinn with Mo Chara

Reserve

Mickey Quinn

This is the Mighty Quinns from Lurgan in County Armagh, Father and son combination here and a force to be reckoned with. Mickey and and Michael brought home a car load of trophys to lugan yesterday. Poor Paula, Mickys wife is worn out shinning up all the Silver.Paula will be glad to see the end of the show season so she gets a rest from shinning the Silver. Well done Michael and Mickey.

Terrier Pups ?

Whippet Pups

Tracy Gill with Ash

Reserve

John Mc Stay with Patch

Congratulations Tracy and John and well Done. Tracy Ash is a beautiful pup and a very worthy winner. Well done to both.

*Overall Champion Puppy

*Robert Moore with Gadget.

Robert you have a beautiful pup and well deserved winner, and may you go on to win many more shows. Congratulations and well done.

2/ Michael Quinn with Mo Chara

3/ Tracy Gill with Ash

A few random results I managed to get.

Shane Farrell from Donegal had a win with his beautiful Whippet. Shane is another rising star, and keen young sportsman.

Liam Toner ( Young Man) was there also, and I am sure he had a win, He never fails) The rain was so heavy, I did not even get down to Peter Morgan and John Heslip, but no doubt Peter and John had a few wins on the day with their terriers , and the same too goes for Liam Black, Michael Lynch, Conor Gamble, and all the rest of the good terrier men.

Smooth Under Bitch

Chrissy Loughran with Tipp

Smooth Dog under 23

Steven Dummigan with Dash

Collie Cross

Steven Dummigan with Blue

Whippet Cross

1/ Fiona Devlin with Diva

2/ Lisa Dummigan

Vetern Lurcher

Chrissy Loughran with Sam

Lamping Class

3/ Chrissy Loughran

John Gibson had a win with his Hound pup. Well done John.

My wee Star Bailey Melaugh ( Concepta and Tommy Melaughs little grandaughter) won the beagle pup with her beautiful beagle pup Meg. A big congratulations wee woman and well done.

Vetern Whippet

John Mc Stay with Silver.

Whippet Pairs

John Mc Stay

A Big Congratulations to all the winners above and well done to all. If it had not of been for the weather, I would of got more results. Rain Rain go away.

And now for the main attraction of the day. The 32 Counties Results. Here we go:

*Terriers

Matt Slevin

Reserve

John Heslip

Lurchers

Gregg Murphy

Reserve

Fiona Devlin

Whippets

Davy Best with Penny

Reserve

Paul Reynolds with Chieftan

Congratulations and well done to above named winners of the 32 County Champion of Champions. It takes a lot to qualify for these competitions, and what a result in the end. So proud of you all and may you all go on to win many more top Championships.

And Finally, may I take this opportunity to thank Barry Holland and Joe Boggs, committe and helpers Nykila Love, Kayleigh Love, and Stacy Love for running this show so well in adverse and terrible weather conditions. George Mc Gerrigle, the owner of Barrontop Fun Farm had his heart in the right place as usual. While we were out in the rain, George was inside preparing Stew for us all when the show was over.George many thanks for your kindness, hospitality and beverages and I can honestly say It was most welcome and very thoughtful on a cold and rainy day. Thanks for the invite and we really enjoyed it. Many thanks to the Judges, Ian Greer,Nigel Greer, Joe Boggs, Sheamus Kearney. Matt Slevin,and another Judge whose name I did not get. You all conducted your duties with great efficency. Judging is not an easy task at any,time, but you carried out your remitts on the day firm, but fair. Many thanks to you all on behalf of the club.

And Finally,finally, I could not end without thanking our resident photographer Deidre Mc Coy for taking our photographs all year, and bringing much enjoyment when we look at ourselves on Facebook and the Hunting Life. Many thanks Deidre, you do a great job and you are also a good friend.

And I always save the best to last. This accolade goes to the North West Terrier,Lurcher, and Whippet Club for their presentataion of Galway Crystal to myself for my contribution and write ups to their shows this year. I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. I appreciate this thought and gift from the bottom of my heart, and will treasure this beautiful gift for the rest of my life. You also extended your thoughtfulness to my colleagues Deidre Mc Coy for her photography, and Janet Duke for promoting Whippets and Whippet shows in Northern Ireland and further afield. On behalf of these two ladies and myself I wish to extend our sincere thanks.

A special presentation was made to the Man of the Day, Terry Moore, founder member of the North West Terrier, Lurcher, and Whippet Club, and a life long member for his work with the club over the years. Terry,you are one of natures gentlemen and a most worthy recepient of this award. Terry congratulations, and may you continue to lead a happy and healthy life.

To conclude now, I would like to wish all of the Canine fraternity a Happy Hunting ground for the rest of the season, and thank you all for your friendship and companionship at the shows during the year.and I look forward to meeting up with you all again in the new year Please God..

PS. Dont forget the last Whippet show of the year at Dunsilly Kennells, Belfast this Sunday 16th September 12.

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom

Great write up Margaret, I enjoyed talking to you, and so did Luke. He enjoyed the day, he does not mind the rain. I am delighted that you got a presentation of Galway Crystal, no one deserves it more than you. You do alot of work for all the shows all over Ireland, hope to see you next year at the shows. Looking forward to the hunting season ahead of us.

so tell me how does the 32 counties whippet judge win terrier champion in the other showing on the day, you scratch my back il scratch urs,mr bloggs? terrier champion was defo nt the best dog there in my opinion,bt when ur have not kept a terrier in ten or so years maybe ur not intitle to judge your own show!lollollol

winner69 you can say that about all the shows this year -all the winners know the judges all doing pals a favour same judges each year same winners in lurchers and terriers chek it out all the shows are fixxed, its all meaningless just a way to make the show dogs out to be something, but what are they but just showdogs

• Like 1

winner69 you can say that about all the shows this year -all the winners know the judges all doing pals a favour same judges each year same winners in lurchers and terriers chek it out all the shows are fixxed, its all meaningless just a way to make the show dogs out to be something, but what are they but just showdogs

sure I just read over the lists of qualifiers for 32 championships and a lot were judges at some point in the year. It seemed sometimes that dogs were being put through during summer based on who the owner was.

What peed me off during the year at some days out where there were 'pet' classes, grown ups were running into the ring with there flashy dogs ahead of the kids with their ratty looking pets, just to get another rosette for the wall.

This looked desperate and inconsiderate.

it is a big think these rosetts when there is pups for sale lol

Quite right. Here's something that sums up what seems to be happening-Taken From : Judge And Ye Shall Be Judged  By Sierra Milton. (I just googled impartial judging dogs)

What causes judges to succumb to face judging?   Those judges who are not thoroughly familiar with the breed, its purpose and standard will settle on the familiar face, sometimes mistakenly trusting that the professional or well-known face will be a safe placement.  There are also those who enjoy seeing their faces in the various dog publications, believing that they are as vital a component as the dog, losing sight of the main premise of dog shows – it should be about the dog and not the handler, judge or show.  Another group believes that the more they are seen in the advertisements, the more popular they will seem and the more judging assignments they will reap.   Other judges may be lacking in self-confidence and believe that, particularly if time is pressing, that placing a well-known exhibitor at the front of the line is less likely to cause controversy.  There are also those individuals who succumb to manipulation and the intimidating presence of some exhibitors, lacking the intestinal fortitude to put up lesser-known or unknown dogs

That's a pretty bold statement to make and it's because of this kind of bulls##t that it's getting harder if not impossible to get lads who know their game to judge shows anymore.It's a bit much to come on here and slander everyone who ran a show or who judged a show this year.I've been to 90% of the shows this year and I haven't seen the same judge at any two shows not to mind every show.I can't speak for all show organisers but I'll speak about my own show. I brought my lurcher and terrier judges in from the UK two top class judges and absolute gents, both had never judged in this country before and knew nobody who showed their dog in front of them.None of the people attached to the show are allowed to have a dog in the field not to mind in the show ring.Any dog that won a class , were champions , show champion or qualified for championships at our show did so on merit and their achievements don’t need to be belittled by your sweeping and stupid comments.

As for this constant bulls##t about workers Vs showdogs, it makes no difference what mammoth or heroic achievements a dog has performed throughout the season once it enters the show ring it’s there to be shown so what is it at that stage only a show dog like all the rest. People who attend shows either to show dogs or to spectate are doing nothing wrong and do so because they enjoy it, they help raise a lot of money for very worthy causes up and down the country and should be applauded instead of be treated as some kind of second class citizen by the keyboard warriors on here.

Keep up this kind of s##t and I can assure you there’ll be a lot less shows and during the long off season you can sit at home scratching yourself wishing you had a show to go to.

• Like 1

lads and lasses is there any need for this to continue,the shows are over and there are according to some steps being made to sort the racing and i hope it works.as for the shows being fixed.think about it really you couldnt put 4 of the organisers in the same room and get them to agree on anything for 10 mins.fact is the same dogs win alot of shows because they simply are the better dogs then when the people who own them win a few they get known then they get accused of being in THE CROWD. if your going to complain about the judging then put your name forward to do it and make a difference instead of crying the same old story.by the way this isnt really my name honest!!!lol

It might be a bold statment, but it true, maybe if there was working dogmen doing the judging I would not have said what I did, but it all a pals act with these shows the last few years. same winners judged by same judges their pals , all going home with rosetts thinking they have some thing special, nothing but show dog never seeing a hard days hunting, just check who is running the shows, who is winning the shows, who is judging the show, all the same group of people, it is fixxed...