Squirrel snareing ?

After reading about snareing squirrels and seeing it on YouTube I have decided to give it a go on a rail going from one tree to another.

Can anyone with any experience in snaring squirrels on a horizontal pole tell me roughly how big the loop should be and how high from the rail to the bottom of the loop I should be setting it.

I am looking for answers from people that have used this method with success please, not armchair trappers that have read about it on the Internet.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Years a ago I snared dozens of squirrels, just to learn the technique in case I ever needed it. I used a loop measuring about the size of the circle that you can form with the tip of your middle (ring) finger touching the tim of your thumb, and I generally set them between one and two finger widths above the branch. Depending on the species of squirrel you are after, the size and height of your loop may vary slightly.

Might be an idea to shoot one squirrel to get a close-up view of its head width and approximate head-height above the branch as it runs.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

the loop should be around 2 1/2" diametre for grey squirrels ,around 1 1/4" above your pole to the bottom of the noose, and space your snares around 18" apart and have your snares about 18" long so the squirrels cant climb back on to pole when caught,

good luck

this method works very well,i used this often when i trapped red squirrel in northern canada

Edited by trapperdan
  • 2 weeks later...