I would use them the other way round. The semi auto for the pigeons as the 3 shots will come in handy and you could be making lots of shots so there would be an advantage to less of a kick and use the S/S for the walked up stuff as it is much lighter. As for cartridges use 30 or 32g No6 for both

I would use them the other way round. The semi auto for the pigeons as the 3 shots will come in handy and you could be making lots of shots so there would be an advantage to less of a kick and use the S/S for the walked up stuff as it is much lighter. As for cartridges use 30 or 32g No6 for both

I agree. A busy day in the hide will knock 7 bells out of you with a side by side. and walking up with a s.auto will be too heavy and a break barrel is easier to prove safe when crossing fences etc.

with regards to cartridge load, 30g for all round use is great. shot size of 6 is a good allround choice too. After years of playing around with chokes and loads for all British game, I have come to the following conclusion:

28g No7, cyl + 1/4 - 30 yards

30g No6, 1/4 +1/2 - 40 yards

32g No5, 1/2 + 3/4 - 50 yards

34g No4, 3/4 + full - 60 yards

36g No3, full + full/ex.full - 60 yards+

I prefer 30g No6 in a side by side and 32g No5 in an over and under, but will play around with that dependant upon the amout of shots that I anticipate fireing.

Hope that helps,

Yorkie.

I agree. A busy day in the hide will knock 7 bells out of you with a side by side. and walking up with a s.auto will be too heavy and a break barrel is easier to prove safe when crossing fences etc.

with regards to cartridge load, 30g for all round use is great. shot size of 6 is a good allround choice too. After years of playing around with chokes and loads for all British game, I have come to the following conclusion:

28g No7, cyl + 1/4 - 30 yards

30g No6, 1/4 +1/2 - 40 yards

32g No5, 1/2 + 3/4 - 50 yards

34g No4, 3/4 + full - 60 yards

36g No3, full + full/ex.full - 60 yards+

I prefer 30g No6 in a side by side and 32g No5 in an over and under, but will play around with that dependant upon the amout of shots that I anticipate fireing.

Hope that helps,

Yorkie.

cheers for that mate I've wrote it down as it will help me out a lot.