Your line

No point calling your own terriers someone else's. Lots of folk like you say start off with dogs from a big name in terriers, probably for security, but once its no longer those names working and breeding the next generation, so surely the credit belongs with the owners. I personally admire such chaps greatly for working their dogs hard and ensuring their stock is made for the job. But I see way more bad coming from 'big brand' terriers than good, eg: the sale of pups for huge sums, which may never have been associated with the advertised name, just for some poor newcomer to be sucked in by the hype and cough up the coin.

• Like 2

Interesting question. And with what has to be a subjective answer. My first thought was when you choose the dam and the sire, that's your line. A short line to be sure but a line nonetheless. And if you did reasonably well, and carry on with what you've started then that really was the start of your line. To have a line that you know a little something about though, that's something different. I'd say three generations in is minimum for having an actual line and even then that's not a lot.

I think when you choose the dam and sire it is yours as it is you choosing witch fog to cover a bitch and if it sucess full after 3 generations as hickrou has said but not just knocking pups out for the sake of it test the dogs you choose yo breed and see how there pups fair are they as good, better or worse than what there sire and dam are. I think you should always look for better than what you have to really benifit..

Pat

some lads have diff veiws on this but imo if say a lad starts with two dogs and breeds them when he s happy that the parent are doing what he requires and keeps his pups and works them and keeps the ones that do whats required and does right thing by those that dont if he keeps going like this and then does his homework on an outcross and goes at all costs to use the dog he s selected and then turns the good pups out of this mating back into the original blood and so forth and so on then i think he deserves the credit for the dogs he has in his kennell i know he s really only moulding and keeping true the dogs that were bred through the years by terriermen of many many years ago but it takes a long time and a lot of hard work to keep them going so i wouldnt begrudge any man from calling it his family of dogs or line of dogs but if he goes down the road of breeding bitches for the aim of selling pups reguardless of how good or bad they are then i think all the good work done before hand is in vein as once the pound sign starts to enter the head before breeding to re stock or replace lost or retired dogs then imo standards will soon go out the window

• Like 5

Well the way i was told by lads a lot older and wiser than me is .When a sire and dam are picked

the first thing you have to decide is wheather its the dog or bitch you wan to follow

When you decide that it was 5 times in and 1 out .

They said that this will fix the line and also the type

I would assume that the origonal dog and bitch selection would be very important

• Like 1