.22 rimfire or shotgun

start by getting them both on your ticket...saves a variation in the future plus you can pick up both a shottie and a .22lr for less than £500 for both

Personally i,d go with the .22 because i love going after rabbits but i,ll name out the pro,s and cons i can think of.

Shotgun would probably be cheaper to purchase initially ( no scope/bipod/sling/moderator needed ) in the south we have to have a gun safe for a rifle but just a trigger lock for the shotgun. (trigger lock is obviously cheaper )

.22 rounds are cheaper than shotgun cartridges.

Shotgun is useless for lamping.

You cant go clay shooting with a rifle.

Shotgun is limited to seasons for many of its prey.

.22 is much quieter and wont p!ss off your neighbours as much :thumbs:

You need to think to yourself would you prefer to be out shooting pheasants in november or rabbits and foxes and grey squirrels instead. Do you want to join the local hunt? Shotgun is a much more socialable weapon if thats what your in to.

If money is the issue maybe the shotgun would be your best bet to start off with. I started off with the rifle myself and found the initial cost high and found that the authorities prefer if you get a shotgun first as its deemed to be a less dangerous weapon ( i dont agree with that at all thats what they think)..... hope this helps

ill put them both on the ticket then, im i right in thinking that if you have already purchased your choice you can put the serial no. on your application and it'll quicken things up so to speak?

didnt no that about the south!

ive used a ruger 10/22 would that be a good place to start? under £500 for the shotgun is that new or second hand?

sociability and meeting decent like minded people is a big thing but popping out for an hour on my own would be aswell

cheers :thumbs:

ill put them both on the ticket then, im i right in thinking that if you have already purchased your choice you can put the serial no. on your application and it'll quicken things up so to speak?

didnt no that about the south!

ive used a ruger 10/22 would that be a good place to start? under £500 for the shotgun is that new or second hand?

sociability and meeting decent like minded people is a big thing but popping out for an hour on my own would be aswell

cheers :thumbs:

I would definatley go for a co-terminous certificate that way you get best of both worlds. Shottie for decoying/rough shooting or game and a rimmie for surgically precise head shots ideal if your eating the rabbits or selling them as most dealers wont take rabbits killed with shotgun. The moderated 22lr is also very quiet.

You will pick up a decent 2nd hand bolt action 22lr along the lines of a brno or similar for around £150 and a half decent s/h shottie for around £250. :thumbs:

i put the serial no on my form and had my fac in 4 weeks

where abouts in NI are you?

Id go for both, As the FAB have really improved and have become super efficient. Ive just put in for a variation and got it back in 5 days!. Obviously itll take a bit longer for your cert, but compared to years ago when people were waiting nearly a year, you should have it back within a month or so.

Im not really into shotgun shooting but a wee CZ .22 rifle should be cheap enough and great fun, the silent killer!