Hawke Sidewinder with Starlight Archer?

I have a Sidewinder 30 on my HW100 12 fpe at the moment and I'm hoping to acquire a Starlight Archer next week. Has anyone used this setup? Am going for FAC in the near future and will review the scope situation then but will the Hawke do until then?

Thanks for that easy but someone told me that the Archer wants a 30mm tube rather than the 25mm. Can anyone confirm this?

I don't expect great things from the sidewinder but it'll have to do for the time being.

MTC Mamba lite on my .22lr is spot on!. Have the sidewinder 30 on the HMR, it's OK , but one thing that does piss me off is the ocular lock ring. I have to have it wound out a bit and then the adaptor, that the Archer sits over, is too far in. This makes the bolt hit it if it's not seated just right. Plus, make sure you don't turn on the illuminated reticle when the Archers on it, it'll mess it up. Take the batteries out just to be on the safe side.

MTC Mamba lite on my .22lr is spot on!. Have the sidewinder 30 on the HMR, it's OK , but one thing that does piss me off is the ocular lock ring. I have to have it wound out a bit and then the adaptor, that the Archer sits over, is too far in. This makes the bolt hit it if it's not seated just right. Plus, make sure you don't turn on the illuminated reticle when the Archers on it, it'll mess it up. Take the batteries out just to be on the safe side.

Well how timely was that! I've just this minute swapped a battery from the kitchen scales to put in the IR. I'll take it out now. Thanks for that Pledgey. I now have my Archer and played with it last night for the first time. I see what you mean about the position of the bayonet fitting. If I was going to keep the Sidewinder, I'd be tempted to grind down the locking ring to bring the spacer back a bit. I don't have the bolt problem yet as it going on my HW100.

Anyway, back to the playing. Not as clear as I'd hoped, in fact was a bit fuzzy but maybe I haven't found the right setup yet or maybe it is the scope or maybe I just have to get used to it a bit more. The image below shows the first six shots with the Archer in place. The target on the back wall of the garden which is 20 yards away. The target measures 4 inches x 2 3/4 inches and the most wayward shot and the spot can easily be covered by a penny so I'm quite chuffed really. Would have been even better if I'd remembered to hold under a little. Hopefully will introduce the Archer to the rats later.

Has anyone had any luck with contacting Starlight lately? Heard so much about how helpful Julian is so a bit pissed off because I've been phoning for weeks and got nothing but a ring tone. Even sent an email with no reply over a week ago. Any ideas anyone?

StarlightArcher001.jpg

Has anyone had any luck with contacting Starlight lately? Heard so much about how helpful Julian is so a bit pissed off because I've been phoning for weeks and got nothing but a ring tone. Even sent an email with no reply over a week ago. Any ideas anyone?

-----------------------------------------

I have phoned Starlight three times in the last couple of weeks.

Twice Julian answered & Barry once so no problems getting in touch.

I use my Archer with a Leapers swat or Bushnell elite & both give a clear image.

I found the secret to getting the reticle sharp is to turn the rifle scope eyepiece focus out one complete turn (anti-clockwise) from your usual setting.

Looking through the scope the reticle will be slightly blurred but with the Archer in place & the focus on the Archer

set to the minimum the reticle should be sharp & focusing on your target is now done with the side focus on the rifle scope.

-----------------------------------------

I have phoned Starlight three times in the last couple of weeks.

Twice Julian answered & Barry once so no problems getting in touch.

I use my Archer with a Leapers swat or Bushnell elite & both give a clear image.

I found the secret to getting the reticle sharp is to turn the rifle scope eyepiece focus out one complete turn (anti-clockwise) from your usual setting.

Looking through the scope the reticle will be slightly blurred but with the Archer in place & the focus on the Archer

set to the minimum the reticle should be sharp & focusing on your target is now done with the side focus on the rifle scope.

Thanks for that creakin but I'm happy to report that I have made contact and Julian has agreed to change the tube and I've sent it to them along with my Hawke so he can set it up properly for me. It's true, they're very nice people

I am another archer fan. Can't think of anything bad to say cos I love em.

Julian, can I have a free archer please?

Anyway. Setting them up takes a bit of time and effort. I may in the past gone into detail here, but can't remember. definitely done it on nightvisionfourumuk. It is worth the effort. Take your time. Getting the crosshair focused properly is a pain. Leups are great for this with the long eye adjuser thingie.

My main complaint was getting the scope in the right position to be able to use it during the day and night. I do have an adjustable butt extender (Talk to one less charlie) which I use on my 223 but will be changing it soon. I find it good if static but puts too much weigh forward for my liking if walking.

I finally got my hmr sorted with an adapter rail added that shoves the scope well forward so next week will be changing the 223.

Hawke sidewinders work well with the archer. MTC mamba get good reviews but I had a viper and it whited out at 8/9 mag. But MTCs are very sensitive to head position so that may have been my problem.

Oh and I headshoot bunnies all night at 100 yards with the Archer. No bother.