bsa supersport

Got myself a bsa supersport and the boy an smk 12

i was suprised shooting targets at 20 yards the penetration into wood was both the same hes is 177 and the bsa is 22 both new guns thought the bsa would have been a bit more penitration over a kids rifle.

any answers please i was a bit disapointed ?

the .177 cal pellet will penetrate more , because of size and ballistics , plus if they are both running at same power the feet per sec of the .177 will be around 200 feet per sec faster than the .22 pellet .

full power in .22 cal is around 600 feet per sec

but

full power in .177 cal is around 800 feet per sec

both depending on pellet weight .

hope that helps .

try and get them chrono'd and you will see what i mean .

Darren .

BSA supersport is just a slightly un-modified fore runner of the BSA lightning and many folk have good results with theirs at the legal limit as it stands, 12ft lb.

It is because of the law regarding muzzel energy rather than muzzle volocity, that we have a ft per second differance of some 200ft per second within the 2 calibres. Rather than speed being the factor that dictates a weopon being legal, it is judged upon its muzzle energy, its impact punch if you like. So in order to give a .177 pellet at half the weight of a .22 pellet the same punch, it is by law aloud to travel faster to compensate for its lack of pellet weight, punch at the target. Combine this faster traveling pellet with a smaller surface area, phisics dictate that it will penertrate further in to the peice of wood. It is also this lighter, faster pellet that gives you the flatter trajectory and is worth thinking about when choosing a .22 pellet.

It is worth noting that penetration can and will have adverse effects if taken to far, resulting in no energy remaining within the target allowing for impact schock to take place. This is something i have wittnessed on many occasion out in the field. Im using a falcon on fac at 22ft lbs and regularly shoot rabbits at anywhere between 55-65 yrds off the bi-pod with head shots, droping them where they stand with AA field pellets. If im shooting at a distance of say25-35 yrds with the same pellets too much energy has passed through the target (head shot) and clean out the otherside resulting in a rabbit with enough breath to make a run of maybe 10yrds. Of course the rabbit is dead the moment the pellet hits it but has air in its lungs to push it along a few yrds out of reflex. This is where a stantard air weopon at that range works better unless i change pellet to one that works in its function by slowing the pellet down on impact, ie: a bisley pest control, H&N super hollow point ect.Even at 22ft lbs shooting into a piece of wood the penertration isnt as vast as you would believe.

As long as you are a compitant shot and get pellet placement on target the BSA supersport i had and used for years done me well and accounted for many rabbits. All the best in getting to grips with it :victory:

pwh.jpg