My other half went back to her studies having dossed at school. Don't know if its the same where you are but she did what is called a pre access course, then had an interview to ensure she was at the standard required to study for foundation degree. She did her maths and english gcses while doing the foundation degree. She has just successfully completed her foundation degree course (3 years) and is doing a one year top up to full degree starting in September/October. While doing her top up she will do her science gcse so that she can then go into teaching. Don't mind saying so but I am extremely proud of her.

• Like 4

I had no problems with my qualifications..colleges have been really helpful

I was never at school as a youngin..but, over the last 6 years Ive done a PGCE, a foundation degree, NVQ 4, Im an NVQ assessor I do training for Newcastle City Council, private companies, I part time lecture at Northumberland college and Gateshead college..

The colleges I did courses with were all very helpful and the universitys similar..

Your never too old, go for it

• Like 1

I went back to collage threw my work block release for three months when i was twenty six and everybody else was sixteen had a great time go my qualification , then the next step was full time and i couldn't go as i was married and needed the wages ,but if you can go for it ,your going to need a degree to flip burgers in McDonald's soon

After being expelled from school twice, I'm trying to do a part time degree, not just for the qualification but I'd like to study a subject that's always interested me.

Now, I have the odd BTEC, NVQ and SVQ, but unfortunately universities require you to have been a good boy throughout school and done GCSE's and A levels, or standards and highers depending on whether you wear a kilt or trousers :D

Well obviously I don't meet the entry requirements however a certain university said there is a degree of flexibility, if you've been working and got a bit of life experience.

So I rang them, and was told, basically, no. But I could do an 'Access to' course and progress from there. All at a tidy fee for the university of course.

The course is a year full time, and I've got no intention of not working if I can help it, not to mention wasting time on a variety of subjects that would bore me to death.

I offered to take the entry test, a literacy and numeracy test, in fact any test they could throw at me I'd take and if I didn't pass I'd accept defeat and do the access course.

Cue, ''Um... Uh.... Let me put you on hold''

Followed by ''No sorry... You have to do the required courses...''

Ffs is there any chance of using your brainpower today, or do we all have to follow a useless template of learning that is outdated and clearly doesn't apply to everyone.

F**k it, think I'll leave work, sign on and do it.... That's the message we keep getting from the government and these fine establishments.... It pays to be a mong and not bother dragging your arse out of bed in the morning.

lets face it jock you wouldnt get passed the numeracy and literacy test you numpty :laugh: i can read and write but im as thick as f**k :laugh:

After being expelled from school twice, I'm trying to do a part time degree, not just for the qualification but I'd like to study a subject that's always interested me.

Now, I have the odd BTEC, NVQ and SVQ, but unfortunately universities require you to have been a good boy throughout school and done GCSE's and A levels, or standards and highers depending on whether you wear a kilt or trousers :D

Well obviously I don't meet the entry requirements however a certain university said there is a degree of flexibility, if you've been working and got a bit of life experience.

So I rang them, and was told, basically, no. But I could do an 'Access to' course and progress from there. All at a tidy fee for the university of course.

The course is a year full time, and I've got no intention of not working if I can help it, not to mention wasting time on a variety of subjects that would bore me to death.

I offered to take the entry test, a literacy and numeracy test, in fact any test they could throw at me I'd take and if I didn't pass I'd accept defeat and do the access course.

Cue, ''Um... Uh.... Let me put you on hold''

Followed by ''No sorry... You have to do the required courses...''

Ffs is there any chance of using your brainpower today, or do we all have to follow a useless template of learning that is outdated and clearly doesn't apply to everyone.

F**k it, think I'll leave work, sign on and do it.... That's the message we keep getting from the government and these fine establishments.... It pays to be a mong and not bother dragging your arse out of bed in the morning.

lets face it jock you wouldnt get passed the numeracy and literacy test you numpty :laugh: i can read and write but im as thick as f**k :laugh:

That's why bribes were invented :feck::laugh:

It seems like half of Scotland's justice workers are thick as fook anyway :D