must of spent an hour this morning watching a pair of reed buntings going back and forth with a mouthfull of snap. its amazing how many times they visited the nest area while i was there.

thought id have a little search where i thought the nest was and managed to come across these little fellas..

wont be long before they jump ship i reckon???

Lamps

They jump the nest at 11 days old, but if disturbed will jump at 10. I watched a good few pairs last year feeding and they were not bothered at all about my presence. Those young look about 8 or 9 days to me. Near where i live theres loads of that bullrush and they bloody love it for nesting. Eating machines they are too!! :yes: Was once out with a gimp and his dog jumped into the cover and picked up a reedy chick!!! :icon_eek: Lovelly eggs they have too..... i think the buntings jump a few days earlier than finches because they nest on the floor and have higher survival rates if the chicks disperse into surrounding cover. :yes: good pics lamper. :yes:

They jump the nest at 11 days old, but if disturbed will jump at 10. I watched a good few pairs last year feeding and they were not bothered at all about my presence. Those young look about 8 or 9 days to me. Near where i live theres loads of that bullrush and they bloody love it for nesting. Eating machines they are too!! :yes: Was once out with a gimp and his dog jumped into the cover and picked up a reedy chick!!! :icon_eek: Lovelly eggs they have too..... i think the buntings jump a few days earlier than finches because they nest on the floor and have higher survival rates if the chicks disperse into surrounding cover. :yes: good pics lamper. :yes:

HAVE YOU BEEN READING OLD JIMS BOOKS , JD ? :hmm:

DUCKWING :D

no matey, i have reared one or two birds you know in my time..... ;)

Pm sent. B)

Any of Mr Whittackers books are worth a read......Ive been known to have have my head in one now and then! :D;)

he means a different Jim Lamps...... :tongue2:

no matey, i have reared one or two birds you know in my time..... ;)

Pm sent. B)

Any of Mr Whittackers books are worth a read......Ive been known to have have my head in one now and then! :D;)

he means a different Jim Lamps...... :tongue2:

yeh.....i know the one........the bird book that you like to stick the pages together as a mark of respect :laugh: