smooth hounds.

Not a bad bass though pal! :good:

didnt even put up a fight Malt BUT tasted fantastic!

Didnt say, i also caught 20lb worth of sea weed for a few hours and lost numerous tackle :censored: .

Thoroughly enjoyed it and can easily get into it.

heard the bristol channel is good???

Supposed to be good for cod in the winter. :yes:

it is malt me and kev did really well on a bait wich tou wouldent normally associate with cod out of penarth mate ill be arranging another trip soon if interested be getting on the tope down your end soon too mate :thumbs:

Defo mate, give me a shout! :good:

Was it you who came to Tenby with Kev and nailed that monster bass from one of my marks? :laugh:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Get yourself some hermit crabs, best bait for hounds, not much else but they seem to prefer them to peelers.

used to boat fish a few times a month but not been for roughly 10 years so looking forward to this session. my friend told me smoothys run like a goodun but ive landed numerous carp over 20lb with ea

No mate that was welsh power that was a beast na we nailed the cod last year had a really good day on the boat earth your in mate I'll let everyone now atb donk

Hermits, peelers, hard backs, squid the greedy feckers take 'em all :thumbs: Make sure your either sitting right next to your rod or make sure you leave your clutch loose, I've seen many rods fly off tripods and down the beach :D :D Even a 5/6lber will test your gear bud. Make sure of at least 25 / 30lb leader and also that you know how to tie them. If they come on the feed and you have a couple they'll wear a leader in no time, I've had fish roll on a 25lb leader and snap it like cotton before where I was too busy trying to get a bait back out in the water and not checking my gear !! Either way you can't beat ( imo ) a run from a hound :)

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

We are fortunate over here in the Sthn regions of Aust,

As we have an exceptional inshore fishery of Gummy Shark or Smooth Hounds.

Each year the larger female breeders move in from nearby Bass Strait & work there

way inside the tidal system we have here, known as Western Port.

Over the years this fishery has gone through the roof with captures of larger sharks.

Average size here is 7-8kg with many of these being kept for fresh flake by recreational anglers.

Currently here in Victoria, there is a 2 Gummy Shark per person bag limit.

Min size length is known as a partial length & is measured from last gill towards the tail down to the tail junction. At present this is 45cm...Not a large fish at all, however we are governed by what the Department of Primary Industries sets.

Gummy Shark are commercially fished for all along many areas of the Sthn Aust Coastline.

Generally this is either a mesh net or occasionally longline method.

These commercial fisherys offer 90% of this local Gummy Shark to the popular Fish & Chip trade.

Gummy Shark when cooked is known as Flake.

It is a delicate, boneless & very distinct flavoured species & has been hugely popular here since the late 50's

Through exhaustive field work over many years, over many thousands of klm's of Sthn Aust, Fishery scientists have attained that Gummy Sharks live to around 15 years of age.

The smaller male Gummy Shark tops out at about 11kg in weight & around 1200mm or so in length.

By comparison, the far bigger & heavier female Gummy's can be anywhere from 12/14kg when able to produce 'pups' right up to a massive 30kg plus...& somewhere around the 1.6..1.8mtr range...getting long !!

Anywhere from around 16/17kg onwards we affectionatly call them

GREAT GREY SUBMARINES, or SUBS...

These beautiful big breeding girls are the stuff of many anglers dreams & really know how to get going once hooked up.

As my fulltime job is operating a 7mtr charter vessel on Western Port often targeting these magic beasts, I sure have seen some absolute terrific captures over the years.

It also needs to be said here that almost 99.9% of female Gummys over 12kg go back in to where they were gently netted from after the client has won the battle...

This is a choice we offer all clients & without fail they pretty much almost always return these back promptly after a few pics.

Currently it's in the middle of Winter here & although it's nothing like you guys experience,

It does slow things up a bit, however the Gummys are still available & go well during Winter most seasons. Infact I've just had some pics come through via facebook, not 30 mins ago of some guys into them landbased, nice going for a Sat eve...

I've got more to divulge on this very special species if people wish to learn some tips that

I've picked up on the way while charter fishing for these sleek grey & white spotted smooth skinned sharks.

Here's a few pics to whet your appetite's

IMG_0598.jpg

Evening Gummy of 18kg

Bait Fresh Yakka Chunk (Yakka very similar to Blue Mackeral you have there)

We also get the blue mackeral & it's known locally as a 'slimie'...rhymes with 'blimy' lol...

Great bait...

IMG_1148.jpg

Day before Easter Good Friday earlier this year.

20kg

Bait Fresh Yakka Chunk

IMG_1082.jpg

One bloody shocking windy blowy night....

We were forced to fish an alternate area,

until this night we'd not found what we call a Great Grey Sub...from this area, only smaller 8-10kg models

Yeah we were pretty stoked with this one at 21.5kg

Bait Fresh Yakka Head & Shoulder section.

IMG_0898.jpg

This big dark colored female Gummy was taken lower down in the system closer to Bass Strait.

These are where they often rest up prior to moving into Western Port with the next flooding tide of the evening.

What a trophy this was for the lucky angler as he was just 10 years old & had a tear in his eye when it showed itself boatside just before netting her...magic moments for sure !!

Bait Yakka Head/Shoulder chunk

23kg

IMG_0739.jpg

This Gummy was another bit of serendipity...Once again we had a crap forecat for the guys charter & had to seek refuge & fish in some protected areas away from the 30knot winds howling along.

We actually thought at one stage that it maybe a Ray as the fisht just went on & on & on...

Eventually it tires & we were gobsmacked at this one !!

Bait Half Silver Trevally

24kg

Cheers,

Shaun

Edited by Downunder_Sthn_Ferreter
  • Like 2

Cheers guys :thumbs:

Yes it was a very special moment for young 'Jem' or Jeremy...

Mind you the kids near bloody 6ft tall already, going to be a big bugger lol

He plays Aust Rules footy with the under 11yrs next season & towers above them all :D

Another special piece to this capture for Jem, was that around 12 months earlier he had been out on a Gummy Charter.

We had a big Gummy on, & as it was just starting to be visible as it neared the boat....

Of all things the :censored: ing handle on the Fin Nor reel snapped off :icon_eek: !!!

All of a sudden things were very serious as this Gummy had been rubbing against the leader for quite a bit...

No sooner had I said this & it's all over :huh: ....

However this was no Gummy Shark...

The neatly severed 60lb leader shows this as being another often hooked,

but all too often lost 'School Shark or 'Galeo Rhinus'

Somewhat similar to Gummy Shark (Mustelus Antarcticus) however it has a very formidable

array of fine leader severing teeth.

It's also known as Snapper Shark after its habit of severing hooked Snapper from angler

& commercial fisherman all over Sthn Aust.

We often call them White Whales as they are a bit of a Herman Melville legend around our parts

when it comes to consistantly landing them....

So yes this Gummy was the icing on the cake so to speak & it was well received by both Jeremy &

his ecstatic parents when meeting up back at the dock later on.

A better birthday present, his parents could have not given him :D

Cheers,

Shaun

Edited by Downunder_Sthn_Ferreter
  • Like 1

We often call them White Whales as they are a bit of a Herman Melville legend around our parts

when it comes to consistantly landing them....

So best to stay away from them if you happen to have the odd gold doubloon nailed to your mast eh..? :laugh:

I'd like to have a bash at the shark fishing. :yes: They run a boat out from the local town here and they regularly catch blue and porbeagle sharks miles out to sea in deep water. We get nothing like that close in here.. :(:thumbs:

argh ye me hearty's pieces of eight & all that garble lol..

Yes there not an easy angling proposition for many, lol Inc me !!

We have Blues & Mako' Shark avail here for a short time each season.

There is some amazing Mako fishing almost year round only a 4-6hr drive, so they are available.

Unsure of your position/location over there, but there's a guy named Gethyn Owen who

runs a charter boat from Hollyhead Marina.

My Way charters.

I've only known him via Facebook as we both have a huge zest & love of Gummy Sharks.

He has had an exceptional season this past few months from the pics & magazine articles I've seen so far.

Cheers,

Shaun

argh ye me hearty's pieces of eight & all that garble lol..

Yes there not an easy angling proposition for many, lol Inc me !!

We have Blues & Mako' Shark avail here for a short time each season.

There is some amazing Mako fishing almost year round only a 4-6hr drive, so they are available.

Unsure of your position/location over there, but there's a guy named Gethyn Owen who

runs a charter boat from Hollyhead Marina.

My Way charters.

I've only known him via Facebook as we both have a huge zest & love of Gummy Sharks.

He has had an exceptional season this past few months from the pics & magazine articles I've seen so far.

Cheers,

Shaun

He's at the wrong end of Wales mate, I'm in the south west! :thumbs:

These are the guys who run the charter for my area:

http://www.whitewatercharters.co.uk/

:thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...