Mine often used to: shows you are feeding them the right food and enough of it. By the time the hen goes down on the new clutch the first young ones will be feeding themselves.

ive this problem as we speak, my hen canary has a 12 day old mule chick, cock birds not in there but shes building like mad, should i put cock bird back in , or is it to early to let her go again

moll if you have a new nest pan in and she nests they will feed the young in other pan,but cock will keep feeding while she sits eggs,they will be fine the older young can be a pain sitting on pan with sitting hen,but the chicks when feeding themselves will still beg from cock when near him,i take young out when they have long tail feathers,hope some of this makes sence :blink:

ive this problem as we speak, my hen canary has a 12 day old mule chick, cock birds not in there but shes building like mad, should i put cock bird back in , or is it to early to let her go again

Keep the cock out for another day or so.She should continue feeding the chick while shes building, obviously you need to put the cock back in to tread her but the risk is she may be driven hard by the cock to nest again and abandon her chick. You could also top up the chick with some eggfood ensuring its getting enough food...

• 2 weeks later...

Another 'is it normal' :D ..... I have a canary hen who has never made a nest nor laid an egg in 2yrs sitting on a different hens chicks in the nest, she was making little cheeping noises. I moved her off incase she had laid an egg in with the chicks but she had not.