What dog ?????

Really thinking about getting a gun dog to make my life abit easier, the shooting I do is hide and rough shooting really undecided what dog tho I really like a spaniel but heard the lab is easier to train, the saying Iv heard a spaniel dies half trained but a lab in born half trained lol what dog do u think I should get ??????

Really thinking about getting a gun dog to make my life abit easier, the shooting I do is hide and rough shooting really undecided what dog tho I really like a spaniel but heard the lab is easier to train, the saying Iv heard a spaniel dies half trained but a lab in born half trained lol what dog do u think I should get ??????

whatever you want yourself just remeber you are going to be shoveling its shite for 10 years or more also not all dogs fit the stereotype of the breed, personel choice mate but spaniels more so springers are far less forgiving than labs.

for me its a springer as id spend more time rough shooting than in a hide :thumbs: but thats my choice as said before il not be the one cleaning it out.

ive even just bought a cocker pup because my springer seemed to be getting tired about 2 o,clock in the day after hard hunting just dosen,t seem

fair to keep pushing her on. altough dont no much about labs but havnt seen 1 that covers as much ground as my springer pup. ive only started shooting last year and have seen 6 labs and maybe 10 springers working .for me its a springer but i will be trying a cocker as well now cause ive heard they never stop.

dont no if any of this helps but thats my opinion prob get loads that will disagree :yes:

• Like 1

Lab and a yellow 1 at that!! Wouldn't entertain the thought of a springer. Defiantly not for hide work. You'll get people tell you that a springers better then a lab for rough shootin, Bollocks!! They lab miten't do as much running but they hunt with there head rather then running madly into birds. More birds in the gamebag. Well that's my opinion anyway, Your entitled to yours but if its different to mine your wrong!!lol. Atb Mark

• Like 1
Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

Labs are a far more veratile dog in the field and at home able to adapt to home life to working dog far better pet for kids than a spaniel.

It has the patient to sit for hours in a hide while the fun and action is happening that will drive a spaniel nuts.

Its a better water dog and if you get a smaller breed lab it will work and flush game at a slower pace than a spaniel which if you one man roughshooting is perfect.

What is normally the case in opinions on dog breeds is owner of certain breeds say there are the best but have never owned the breed they give opinions not being the right dog.

I have owned both and if I was going to choose a lab is the best dog by a huge margin for the average shooter in terms of training time and the standard acheived by basic training of novice owner etc.

ATB Cookie

• Like 1