Bringin on my pup

oryt lads i hav a collie whippet x saluki greyhound only 5month old now i had him out last nyt wif me mates dogs on the lamp let him watch a few courses then give him a run on a rabbit with the other 2 he didnt seem 2 intrested but i was told if he just take him out on the lamp a few more nights and let him wonder about he will pick it up realy soon does this sound about right ? :hmm:

ok lads i hav him retrieving to hand and been having him on a few lures i will just keep up with that they say all training is good training thanks a lot anyway lads :D

ite mate how old are you? because you must be thick or not done much with dogs to be even showin a 5 month old pup rabbits on the lamp IMO it should be about 12 month but not 5 months and people wonder why there dogs yap :no:

am 17 mate i wasent realy asking for a mouth full just a bit of advise no wonder young lads dont learn much because of people like you :o

hey mate im younger than you :laugh: but i still wouldnt let my dog near a rabbit at 5 months hold him/her back till shes about 12 month before goin on the lamp ;):big_boss:

My pup has just turned a year, and now I am building up fitness ready for this season. I would not dream of running him too young - its not only bone development, its the lungs and heart that need to mature as well.

Good luck with the pup - get the training rock soild over the next few months.

young dogs/bitches are prone to damaging the tibia crest which is below the stifle joint on the back leg(the dogs knee) they can do it just running around or playing rough and take it from me its a long lay off, so take it easy until the dogs developed , personally i think the lamp stops a dog jumping but different horses different courses , il stick to coursing n leave the lampin to you

Take no notice of the mouthful of abuse, as he says he is younger and therefore has no manners!

Ask as many questions as you like, there is a wealth of experience on this site so use it to the full.

Be patient with the pup, not really the lamping season now anyway so wait till the stormy nights of Nov/Dec and get yourself started then, dont expect miracles but remember you will get out what you put in.

If you need luck then you dont diserve it, if you diserve luck then you dont need it! ;)

am 17 mate i wasent realy asking for a mouth full just a bit of advise no wonder young lads dont learn much because of people like you :o

Take it slow ,good to hear you have got your pup retreiving ,I would concentrate on that and its recall for now,its money in the bank for later on,establish a real bond with the dog and dont worry if it doesnt start picking up before its a year old ,small steps,all the best with it,and be careful of that hard ground. Inan.

Thanks a lot for all the all information lads i been taking him dwn the local beach to get his fitness up gunna leave him off the lamp till he is about 11-12month then introuduce him to it. Just going to carry on with his training for now :D we all may need help at 1 point cheers lads :victory:

A word of advice on the 'fitness' thing: young dogs shouldn't be encouraged or allowed to do too much running at this age as their bones haven't finished growing: too much build up of muscle before the skeleton is fully adult can cause problems pulling the joints out of their correct position and putting stress on everything: let him run around on his own as much as he likes, but don't let him chase or play too much with older dogs, or run endlessly after game or he will get too much exercise for his age.