few snares out

Put a few snares out on saturday morning heres some pics of what i found on sunday morning

13052007049-1.jpg

13052007050.jpg

broken hoop snare,can anyone tell me what mite of done this

13052007051.jpg

Rabbit in peg snare but sumits beat me to it???

13052007052-1.jpg

young one in hoop snare shows how high they can jump this snare was set about 6-7 inches high

13052007053.jpg

Another one that i was beaten too this ones inside were eaten out

13052007054.jpg

same rabbit,its eyes and the back of its head were eaten,could this be the work of a minl or stoat ect???

Corvids, especially Carrions do this sort of damage. They will always go for the eyes and then pull the innards out in strings and strip the meat down to the bare bones pretty quickly. You will have to get up just after first light to beat them to it.

The hoop wire looks like it might have been robbed by a larger animal like a badger or dog though.

OTC

Guest Ditch_Shitter

:rolleyes: Del; Bend and brace mate. Because first and formost, ye deserve a f*cking good rocket for ye irresponsible and unsportsman / professional like behaviour in setting wires one morning and then blythley f*cking off till the next one! Ye should've checked them at last light on the day ye set them. Then come back in the morning.

If ye'd foul caught a live one, or - god forbid - caught a non target, it's your responsibility to be on hand at the earliest and deal. How do ye think some fence sitter, out for a stroll, would have reacted to finding the carnage ye left there?

Anyway, putting the big finger away: Yeppers. Mainly crows. Ye can see for yeself how they've been worked over in situ. That one that's just a red ruin has been pecked all over. As OTC says, they'll most often target the eyes for first choice. But if the thing's on its side, they often can't reach both so will just peck out the accessable one.

Again, the gutted one with it's leg up. That too is typical corvid behaviour. Make a smallish hole and eviserate through that. They have that long, probing beak so need to rip it wide open, see?

Back of the skull? Mustalids will often bite out the side of the skull and lick the brains out, I've found. Looks like that one's had it's throat pecked out and the toungue's probably gone. Crows again, I'd say. Ye left them such a feast they got full and choosey.

As for what broke the Hoop wire? Could've been a rabbit. No tracks to give ye a clue?

There ye go. Bit of Field Craft for ye. Check what ye set in a timely manner in future and ye should be seeing a lot less of such shit and carnage. So will anyone else passing by.

I've often had hare's snap the 6 strand snares.

A rabbit could perhaps snap one, due to un-noticed damage to the snare already, i don't know im not an expert, just my opinions.

it looks to me that the wire in question has definatly been snapped, not bitten through, like a fox would do. Which to me, indicates, something has been in the snare, and the snare was not capable of holding the animal.

:rolleyes: Del; Bend and brace mate. Because first and formost, ye deserve a f*cking good rocket for ye irresponsible and unsportsman / professional like behaviour in setting wires one morning and then blythley f*cking off till the next one! Ye should've checked them at last light on the day ye set them. Then come back in the morning.

If ye'd foul caught a live one, or - god forbid - caught a non target, it's your responsibility to be on hand at the earliest and deal. How do ye think some fence sitter, out for a stroll, would have reacted to finding the carnage ye left there?

Anyway, putting the big finger away: Yeppers. Mainly crows. Ye can see for yeself how they've been worked over in situ. That one that's just a red ruin has been pecked all over. As OTC says, they'll most often target the eyes for first choice. But if the thing's on its side, they often can't reach both so will just peck out the accessable one.

Again, the gutted one with it's leg up. That too is typical corvid behaviour. Make a smallish hole and eviserate through that. They have that long, probing beak so need to rip it wide open, see?

Back of the skull? Mustalids will often bite out the side of the skull and lick the brains out, I've found. Looks like that one's had it's throat pecked out and the toungue's probably gone. Crows again, I'd say. Ye left them such a feast they got full and choosey.

As for what broke the Hoop wire? Could've been a rabbit. No tracks to give ye a clue?

There ye go. Bit of Field Craft for ye. Check what ye set in a timely manner in future and ye should be seeing a lot less of such shit and carnage. So will anyone else passing by.

you took the words right out of my mouth 100% agree with you mate. :clapper:

• 2 weeks later...