My lads first days fishing .

hunting2and3179az7.jpg

Took my lad ,who's 8 years old ,for his first day out with a rod .Decided on a small lake near us thats teeming with carp of all sizes and goldfish to 2 lb!.Chose a light weight rod of 7 foot and a small spinning reel loaded with 3lb line .I never fished as I knew I'd be untangling him !.Baited a spot with red maggot and sweetcorn as soon as we got there and set him up with a 3 bb waggler .The lake is very shallow ,4 foot at the deep end but mostly 2-3 .Started on the maggot and straight away ,the float slid away .The strike was over the top but luckily it was a carp of 1/2 pound which fought well for an 8 year olds first .The fish fed non stop all day with the best carp being just under 3 lb and the biggest goldfish was a pound .Swtched to the corn as the fish got on the baited area.He lost a good fish which sped away before I could grab the rod . We got there at 8am and left at 6pm with my lad moaning that we had to leave ?.Very proud of the lad .Despite the usual tangles from over-excited casting he did well .Finished with a good bag of mixed carp and goldfish which weighed 42pounds in the net !.

hunting2and3180px8.jpg

hunting2and3176pz0.jpg

hunting2and3177sg3.jpg

The bag shot dosnt do it justice really ,my fault ,should have put them on the landing net.

P.s the 2-3 pounder was put back as it was caught with no pic! ,because the keepnet was already overcrowded!.

Edited by foxdropper

Beginners luck I'm sure but he couldnt go wrong.Dropped the sucked maggots in the margin while we had a quick bite and off it went with another good strong pound fish .Hope it hasnt spoilt him for those days or venues when the action is somewhat slower !.

• 2 weeks later...