Catching a Magpie

Hi all, I have 2 ladder traps set up and 3 larsen traps set up I'm catching lots of crows everyday but struggling to get a Magpie in so I can use it in a different location. Will I catch a Magpie in the larsen with a crow in it or will it need to be a magpie call bird. I've got a larsen set up at the location I need to get the maggies with a nest in each side with pheasant eggs in one side and chicken eggs in the other side and a broken egg on top of the trap with no success. Any other advice would be grateful. Andrew

two days ago i caught a magpie with some grass in the shape of a nest, with a broken egg in and a rabbit head next to it and i caught one, so i am sure if you keep trying you should get one, but i am sure with a magpie call bird you will have more success catching more, it's funny as i'm truggling to catch crows! :)

The ladder traps are set up for crows i have spare ladders of different spacings for magpies and jackdaws the spacings for crows on mine are 7 inch square with netting hanging down on the inside tapering to about or 5 inches. The ladders for magpies and jackdaws that i use are 5.5 inches square. caught loads of crows this year and last year, Caught loads of magpies in the larsens last year.

We caught our call birds on eggs last year straight away but this year there was no chance of that. Got a call bird and with in a few hours we were hammering the little bandits. Sometimes eggs work somethimes they don't. You'll struggle to catch a magpie with a crow call bird. Blag one from someone, most people are catching well now.

Where abouts are you?

• 6 months later...