Beagles Hunting Fox

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

a beagle can hunt as fast as the rest,they can only run as fast as the nose lets them-a beagle is already low to the ground and can run without stooping the advantage of a larger hound is when he view

He might as well learn the correct term Hedz. Next he'll be saying he killed a couple with his 3 and a half brace, LOL.

hedz fair play ,as long as you enjoy em thats what matter,what ever you hunt, hunting with a terrier in cover or a full pack of fell hounds, its still a sight to behold,some fine hunts were had as kid

Hi Milliket and Beagle 87, yes, there were always a few of those sort of little informal gun packs in Cornwall too, but also, as I was saying, some more formal ones with fixed meets. A google image search throws up a few shots of the Lambo, nothing from the other packs I mentioned, so I guess they're long-gone: http://picturepenzance.co.uk/photos/showimage.php?i=24589&catid=newimages

I always used to wonder how a beagle pack hunting fox compared to a beagle pack hunting hare, but never had the chance to experience the latter.

a beagle can hunt as fast as the rest,they can only run as fast as the nose lets them-a beagle is already low to the ground and can run without stooping the advantage of a larger hound is when he views charlie then he can realy step out.I run 3 beagle harriers myself and witnessed the 2 bitches on there own course a fox each out of cover last season and the fox could not make ground turn after turn until they where lifted by a lurcher not a foot infront of the hound.The older bitch hunted a hare for over a hour on her own before catching it although it looked ok how do you know if it wernt sick ? there is foxs that just go to ground without much pressure and some who would rather run all day even under pressure and pass vacant burrows,but large numbers of hounds that can hunt do make a difference in putting foxes to ground.i find smaller hounds great in cover as they can run through the runs and under blackthorne and scrub better also through pop holes under sheep wire that the fox uses especially where the hedge has grew through the wire and the big hounds just cant get over the same.also a lot of foxes run to ground with large groups of lads doing cover are run in by the lurchers and not the hounds as some would let you believe nothing puts a fox under presure like a good lurcher up his pipe or a pack of hounds most of the time when under pressure from a lurcher he will squeeze into a small hole and even a pretty mideling terrier will dig him as its his ass your digging to.some may not agree but thats just my view.

Yep good post fella, just 2 things, no beagle no matter how good unless in very tight gorse etc can hunt a line of a fox as quick as a decent foxhound, stooped head or not, As for the pop holes through netting any foxhound worth it's feed would pop over it with out thinking..

he wont pop over the hedges im talking about, he will have to go under or around tight sheep wire topped with 2-3 strands of barbed wire and ur lucky if you can see it the hedge is grew through it that heavy if he does jump his weight wont carry him down through it.
  • Like 1