pellet quality

I had a discusion with a mate of mine the other day about pellets and what we use we have both been using airguns for years. He plinking and me Hunting.

He has now turned to hunting, too.

we spoke about the aspects of Accuracy and quality when i told him i used flat heads he laffed :yahoo: said WHAT how can they be Accurate i said ive used all types and i find these the most Accurate.

I explained in my oppinion, of a flat head floorboard nail, doesnt split the wood but punches its way through, so same for the flat head any variation in the dome of a round head will put the pellet of course and drift and as for the pointed pellet they would if the point aint spot on, do the same.

That was my oppinion any way. ( NO DISRESPECT )

I even tried the old Sabo bullet did any one else use these years ago ?????

too using Prometheus.

Come to think about it SABO must have given the spring guns some damage really as they was so light and no weight to them at all, bit fiddly too they was nearly like dry firing your gun i would say.

Then it was my turn to laff :rofl: when my mate said he still used Marksman pellets i said you tight B----------D

buy some decent pellets.

I said me and me dad used these years ago he remarked by saying they was okay i said YOU Tight T----T

BUT HE GOT ME THINKING TO BE HONEST.

So when i got home i went to my pellets Where i still have a box of Marksman pellets (Dome heads) from yes 30 years Ago.

so decided to have a look although a little covered in a white powder now i took one out

To be Honest the quality of these pellets was Absolutly brilliant so well formed and nicely made. I think i was put in my my place :feck: compared too the qualitly of todays pellets and the ones from yester year.

Weather the modern day Marksmans are as good Today ????? i dont know but if they are i was thinking of changing my pellet buying.Even though they are dome heads.

By the way me dad used to call them slugs which really wound me up lol :censored:

like most things now days there put in shiney packets and were told there brilliant and were charged 3 times the amount and we fall for it .. i tried the sabbos in my hw35 when i was a kid thet were rubbish but would go through a two pence peice at point blank that was impressive to a kid! ive used the old marksmans along with bulldogs eley wasps that was prity much the choice we had and all did the job and the quality back then was good. then we started to get hold of the h&n,s and i did like the flats. at the moment in using prometheus defients and the quality is very good and there very accurate but abit pricey

Them sabos lol would have been impressive to me too never thought of trying that with a 2 pence piece lol

Them defiants ive seen them are they lead or tin ??

im hopefully going to make my own pellets in the future still working on it at min nothing fancy really

but was thinking if possible mixing tin and lead together ????????

Mate , how do you come to the conclusion that dome heads are going to `drift ` off course ?

And if they , being aero-dynamic , `drift` , how the hell do flat heads stay on course ?

also what makes you think you can make better pellets than the tried and tested brands , that invest vast amounts on their products ?

Original post makes no sence to me what so ever .......

s

500 .22 are £12 quid plus postage cheepest ive found so far so there not cheep

You have an FAC rifle?

Only the FAC .22s come in packs of 500!

no not fac my mistake there packs of 650 but still not that cheep but good all the same

Edited by kanny

Them sabos lol would have been impressive to me too never thought of trying that with a 2 pence piece lol

Them defiants ive seen them are they lead or tin ??

im hopefully going to make my own pellets in the future still working on it at min nothing fancy really

but was thinking if possible mixing tin and lead together ????????

there lead mine came with the gun and im very happy with them performance wise ....heres a link

http://airgunbuyer.com/details.asp?cat=Pellets&SubCat=Pellets&Product=2551

Thanks for the link bud will have a look

Buster i never said i could make better pellets bud than the tried and tested ones i said i wanted to make my own pellets simply for the intention of seeing if i could nothing more experiment is the idea not to take over the world of pellet making lol

As for the dome heads going of course this was my opinion as some dome heads are slightly marked and have small nicks in them this would aid the direction of a pellet in flight to be moved with a breeze again my opinion as i said

As for the flat head this would simply punch its way through the air and not cut its way through giving a cleaner cut but slower velocity as i have hammerd trillions of floor board nails in over the years i see the wood being punched with the flat of the nail giving a cleaner cut through the wood as with a pointed nail i see the wood split giving a bad finnish.

but again bud that was just my opinion so no offence to you guys. :bye:

Thanks for the link bud will have a look

Buster i never said i could make better pellets bud than the tried and tested ones i said i wanted to make my own pellets simply for the intention of seeing if i could nothing more experiment is the idea not to take over the world of pellet making lol

As for the dome heads going of course this was my opinion as some dome heads are slightly marked and have small nicks in them this would aid the direction of a pellet in flight to be moved with a breeze again my opinion as i said

As for the flat head this would simply punch its way through the air and not cut its way through giving a cleaner cut but slower velocity as i have hammerd trillions of floor board nails in over the years i see the wood being punched with the flat of the nail giving a cleaner cut through the wood as with a pointed nail i see the wood split giving a bad finnish.

but again bud that was just my opinion so no offence to you guys. :bye:

No offence taken mate .

Domes , as all pellets will `twist` as they fly , as per the rifling in your barrel . Even if they are a a bit one sided they will follow a true path , where as a flat head will not . They both twist , but the domes will work best 100% mate .