had a four track for years hence 2.8 guy they do rot but get a good one keep on top of the wax oil every year

and you'll be fine i bought mine had it four years only thing i did was a uj joint and a output seal transfer box and this bus was dogged to death after the four years sold it for what i paid for it was ok on juice, not much room in rear tho seats up !

I drive a 1995 Disco 300 tdi, it never misses a beat and hasn't let me down in 8 years. it has plenty of power and gets me anywhere! Parts are silly cheap and it is so easy to work on. I currently have Mud terrain tyres on it and a full roof rack which means it does about 24mpg around town, but with regular tyres and no rack I was easily getting 30-32 around town.

if you go for the manual disco 1, 300tdi you can complete a few simple mods to take it to over 30 mpg on a run.

remove the EGR, kit is aprox £15

remove the cat from the down pipe £25

tune the fuel pump, better pick up so over all better mpg. free but can be tricky to follow the instruction the first time.

the best thing with a disco is the parts are easy to get and very cheap, nearly all work can be completed at home with the help of the manual,

then if you want to modifiy it over time the sky is the limit!

there is a spot on disco for sale in the clasifieds, there are also loads of guides to help with what to look for when buying,

bigest issue is rust,, so find a good one and cover the underside in waxoil!

all the best rob,

i drive a 1997 defender 90 with a 300tdi engine in it and i just filled up now and worked out to 29mpg, without towing just back and for to work, not bad, could be better though i suppose, but when i have a big trailer full of split hardwood logs on the back for the stove, you see why you bought a landy, especially coming out of some of the fields that you have to pulling about 2 tonne of firewood, quite simply, a hell of a tool. Would love to be able to afford a new one.

B

have to agree the disco is value for money compared to the others out there good parts network and plenty of people who know there way around them early ones can feel your travelling on a boat on rough seas all the issues with gearboxes ect will have been sorted allready, td5 are really good value and you feel good driving them too

im looking to for a new 4x4 ive had disco,fourtrack for the size of truck there good on fuel .been looking at shogun until i found out they do around 18 mpg 2.8 deisel,but the smaller pinin petrol 30mpg and you get alot of truck for your money mith mitabishi

Disco is one of the best do it all vehicles you can get in my opinion. Miss mine loads. Great for the dogs in the boot, loads of room, decent pull with the egr off, decent mpg for such a big truck.

Make sure you get under the rear carpets and check for the boot floor rotting and general rot. Parts are cheap, there are loads of little garages that work on them, just steer clear of main dealer rip off prices.

Great off road, great in snow, just awesome machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I might be leaning towards a disco td5 there seems to be some good deals around 2000-2500 if I can get one the low end of 100,000 miles if be delighted!!!

Edited by Blakloks