Permissions

I am 16 and and very responsible with my rifle , I don't think farmers would be keen on letting someone of my age shoot on their land , worth a try anyway. I live in Northern Ireland , is the law different than in England ?

As far as I am aware, the law is pretty much the same, apart from you needing to have your rifle on FAC.

I am not aware of any other differances, but I am always open to correction :yes:

Tony

Would also recommend getting shooting insurance. BASC is a good place to go, nearly all farmers will recognise it, and their junior membership rates are pretty generous

Have you got your air rifle yet, or does another member of your family own it? Because it has to be on FAC, the annoying thing is that you have to get the farmers to sign the 30/40 Lands form before you can be cleared to use the air rifle over land (ie. not for target shooting at approved ranges). The upside is in NI, I'm pretty sure all certificates are "open", which means that once you're cleared for that one piece of land, you can shoot on any other land you have permission to do so on, provided you use your judgement as to whether or not it's suitable for shooting on.

Edited by AngryHan
  • Like 1

Im sure you can apply for FAC at 14 not 100% though....until you are 18 though you cannot buy a FAC rifle or Ammunition

Upon applying for FAC you need Land to shoot on and would also advise you to join a local rifle club and spend time there letting people get to know you so when you do apply you have your experiance at rifle shooting and rifle club can vouch for you

Take from the PSNI website..

Under article 7(2) of the Firearms (NI) Order 2004, the Chief Constable may grant a firearms certificate to a young person for an airgun, shotgun or .22 rifle, only if the firearm is to be used for pest control or the protection of livestock on agricultural land occupied by the young person or on which he works and also resides.

Under article 7(3) of the Firearms (NI) Order 2004 the Chief Constable may grant a firearms certificate to a young person for an airgun or shotgun for sporting purposes, provided he is under the direct supervision of a person who has attained the age of 21 years and has held a firearm for that type of firearm for at least three years. Such supervision will be for a period of at least 12 months. In practice, to enable full supervision of the young shooter, the firearm will require to be held on licence by the supervisor.

It seems you may have trouble applying...

I guess the laws regarding shooting over land would be different here as well, because you would need to be with your grandpa on that piece of land in order to use his rifle

Angry Han

In the law it says that the young person can apply for a firearms liscence for pest control on agricultural land occupied by the young person or On which he works and also resides. Does this include land on permissions I have ?

Don't think so, my interpretation is that it's designed for the children of farmers, or young people who actually live/work on farms. You should contact the firearms branch by phone or email to be sure, but I'm afraid you may not be eligible :(