.22lr CCI subs

Went out today to zero a friends rifles... .22 CZ452 and .243 Ruger.

Started the .22 at 16 meters, hitting it bang on with the subs.

Then used the .243 at 100 meters. Got that sorted, then picked up the .22 again and said 'watch this' :D

Well, to be honest it wasn't a bad grouping at all, but considering it was clear with no wind whatsoever, I was expecting a lot more.

It wasn't my shooting as the .243 was bang on...

I know some people have this idea that beyond 70 yards with a .22 is 'impossible' (bollocks), but who has used the CCI's before and what do you think? I know there's mixed reviews but I was under an impression that ultimately disappointed...

I found them poor, with about 1 in 10 rounds not having the right amount of powder in them, resulting in a drop of about 8 inches at 75 yds or so, and a totaly different sound when fired. Maybe it was a bad batch, but I switched to Supper X and will continue to use them.

Edited by Simonrees

the CCI subs wont chamber in my 452, but that is only since they changed them from the 36g copper washed, i had a remington that they wouldnt go in aswell so i changed them to rws and winnies. at 100yrds you cant expect too much. I zero at 75yrd and have taken rabbits way past that but shooting at a target at 100yrd is always disapointing, at that range the little 22 is affected by so much that you will be lucky to get a pleasing result. you want consistancy at 50yrds and good hits at 75yrds then at 100yrds you need to expect the group to open out to at least and inch and half. as for the consistancy of the 40g cci well i cant shoot them so i cant comment but the old 36g were hard to beat.

the CCI subs wont chamber in my 452, but that is only since they changed them from the 36g copper washed, i had a remington that they wouldnt go in aswell so i changed them to rws and winnies. at 100yrds you cant expect too much. I zero at 75yrd and have taken rabbits way past that but shooting at a target at 100yrd is always disapointing, at that range the little 22 is affected by so much that you will be lucky to get a pleasing result. you want consistancy at 50yrds and good hits at 75yrds then at 100yrds you need to expect the group to open out to at least and inch and half. as for the consistancy of the 40g cci well i cant shoot them so i cant comment but the old 36g were hard to beat.

I think I did expect too much as it was very still and clear...

About an inch and a quarter group from 15 rounds, minus the odd stray...

It wasn't so much the general accuracy as the consistency that put me off.

I have tried CCIs a couple of times in the past and I have never found them to group well.

At the moment I am using Winchester super x's, they are ok and have a lot of punch. However I ran out the other day shooting with friends and used some of their Eleys, put it this way, once I run out of winnies I will be buying Eleys in future!

ATB

Jonno

I can use CCI subs in my CZ 455 Varmint but they are not the best. Iv also noticed that when i use Winchester Super X's they jam when i push the Bolt home. Really annoying.

I Fired 10 Remington Subs through it when i first got it and the other 90 will still be sat in my Safe for a long time, Very poor indeed.

The only round i havent tried is Eley, Just because my Dealer is always out when i go in. I use RWS as my main Rabbit round and iv got to say they do the job very nicely.

i tried alot of different brands in my .22lr and settle on the ely subs. i am very happy with them. don't think the cci subs are very good, the odd one made a crack while others didn't.

in fact i woud not shoot my .22lr any more if i could not get either cci velocitors or eleys subs or winchester super x.

the eleys don't chambe very well but the quality is very good /they are very accurate out of my browning 52.

50 100 150 y the eley subs are very good i find.

Edited by riflehunter583