newbie air rifle hunter

Hi im 24 from Luton,Beds and im totally new to air rifles and air rifle hunting. i have a SMK Custom B2 .22 with a 4 x 32 Nikko Sterling scope..last year i went out hunting rabbits a couple of times and got absolutely nothing,i got a few rabbits in my sights but hit nothing..at first i thought i was just a sh*t shot,but on thursday i took a few shots down my back garden at an empty cereal box,i was not hitting on target at all...so i invited my mate over (who has owned a few air rifles over the years plus ex forces) to get his opinion..he tried to re-zero the scope whilst taking shots down the garden...he says he doesnt know and to keep trying to tinker with the sights. my intended quarry is your typical small game..rabbits,pigeons,grey squirrels etc.

if there's anyone on here from the bed/bucks/herts area,i would love to maybe meet up some time so i can learn new techniques.

TheWolfman

391481_10150593673131895_695051894_9434543_1888463264_n.jpg

Edited by TheWolfman

I had the exact same problem with my webley.It turned out to be the bit under the barrel that sort of locks it in (im not sure what it is).it turned out to be a quick and easy thing to fix.

atb joe

was your Webley a break barrell? I wish mine was a magazine fed rifle as if you miss a shot at a rabbit,for example, you dont have to scare them of by creating lots of movement trying to reload.

so it looks like im going to have to take it back to the shop where i bought it from and see if they can sort it for me. Its really frustrating as i just want to get out there and start hunting and,hopefully getting a quarry.

TheWolfman

Best advice I can offer is for you to get to your nearest field target club and benefit from as much practical help and advice as you can handle.

This will be highly advantageous for you at this stage in your shooting career and you will find that airgunners are a friendly welcoming bunch :)

• Like 2

My opinion is the same as The Duncan above. You may want to get out there and bag some game , but without the skill to be accurate over maybe 25-35 yards, you are almost certainly going to injure , and not kill your target, and cause unnecessary suffering. Put in the practice once the gun is sorted, and then go out in the field !!

• Like 1

When you can hit a 50 pence piece time and time again at a your chosen distance then you are ready for live quarry.

You shouldn't be treating animals as tin cans, if injured and there will be a good chance one will be, they are consigned to a very slow death.

I know from my fathers attitude, from when he was shooting 40 years ago, that you aim, pull the trigger and hope for the best. He seems to think if you only kill half the stuff you shoot at your doing well. I am slowly turning around how he thinks and he comes down the local range with me weekly now.

It's a great sport and you can have as much fun at a club as in the field, plus they are usuall cheap to join.

• Like 1

cheers for the advice fellas..ill try and find my nearest field target club.

@Kent Hunter- i think i bought it early last year,or possibly before that,but ive not used it that much unfortunately.so i think the best thing i will get is for them to try and re-zero it for me.

TheWolfman