hi just wondering what to do with the dog i just got..only about 6 mths old, suppost to be a sal bull wip, it is realy skinny and looks un healthy,been walking it with other dogs off lead but the dog wont leave my side at all..ill put a pic on to show you and seen if i am just worrying too much .. cheers all the help will be good

post-18829-0-67748200-1332119978.jpg

The pup's condition is most likely due to a variety of things: bad feeding, lack of worming, and most importantly, lack of exercise. The fact that he won't leave your side says to me that he's never been out of a kennel. From what I can see in the photo, (always difficult to judge correctly just from a photo) there is a distinct lack of muscle, very visible around shoulders and back end.

Firstly, don't try and get this pup to run around in the state it is in. You will do more harm than good. His feet look very flat too, which could be inherited, but could also be a lack of proper exercise throughout his life. Lead walk him only for a good month before you let him off the lead: let him have a little run around in your back garden/yard if he wants to, but don't encourage him to do more than he wants to himself. Like fetching a ball: don't do it yet. Don't walk him too far at the moment either: 15-20 round the block is more than enough until he's stronger. And don't let him run! I know that we always want to see pups running about and enjoying themselves, but in this case, you have to build him up first or he'll damage joints and feet.

Feeding: get some good quality protein into the pup. What are you feeding him on? I feed a raw diet, but if you feed complete, then try to feed only the best: don't feed a complete food where the first ingredient listed on the side of the bag is cereal or wheat. Only go for the food where meat is the first ingredient listed. If it was my pup I'd get it on to a good raw diet, a combination of raw meat, tripe, chicken carcases and wings and a handful of brown bread or porridge oats mixed in with some minced raw veg.

As the pup is in such poor condition you shouldn't expect it to be properly developed, either physically or mentally. Neglect and bad rearing will take months to overcome, and I'd imagine that the pup's brain is as underdeveloped as its body: the two generally go hand in hand. The previous owner obviously cared no more about bringing the pup on properly with play and exercise than he did about feeding the poor thing. Work on getting his confidence and trust, but most importantly give him time to adjust to the new place he's now living in. He needs time for everything: time to adjust, time to grow stronger. Don't forget too that he's got a lot of catching up to do, which will also use up a lot of energy. Expect him to need more sleep and good food than a pup which has had the right upbringing.

Good luck with him.

• Like 1

In that picture i dont think he look's too bad for a 6mth old pup..he maybe should have bit more covering on him..but from what i have seen from dog's that have taken the saluki side of thing's is it can be hard work getting weight on them and keeping it on them..

Millet: to me the dog's body is typical of one which has never had the opportunity to run around, be a puppy and build up healthy muscle. I know that a six month old pup shouldn't and can't have adult muscle, but look at the bony bits on each side of the tail, and the lack of flesh below, on the thigh area. That dog, regardless of its breeding, hasn't had the sort of exercise it needed. I'd hazard a guess and say that its seldom been out of a kennel.

hi skycat ..well i think the same i dont think it has been out ov the penn.defo no exercise he is just skin and dones no muscle at all. right i wont mate ill keep him on the lead and wnt let him run about ( even tho he dont ) but ill defo keep him on the lead and keep the walking to just a little bit. well yes we do like to see them having fun , but if u say it will do more damage then good then i wont .at the min he is having a compleate dog food chicken,rice,veg.. crude protein 22.0% fat content 10.0% inorganic matter 11.05% crude fibre 4.0%....but ill stop feeding him that and put him on raw diet.so if i feed him on chicken carcases ,tripe, and mince beef ,would thatbe better for him ? what about lamb iv been told to feed him lamb aswell. thanks alot for all the help and information you have gave me cheers pal :thumbs:

tbh the pic ant good but i think it does him a bit ov justice .cause he is really skinny. and at side ov his tail there is no meat it is pure bone . mi mate got the same sort ov bread and the dif is unreal..

I've sent you a pm.

Loads of dogs do very well on complete food, and it sounds as though what you are feeding is OK, but I just prefer to feed raw as it is more natural and you can really see them pile on the condition. I took on an adult dog in very poor condition once: dry scurfy coat, no meat on his bones, covered in sores which the previous owner wouldn't heal: within a month his coat was superb, and the sores had all healed and he was better in every way. I'm not saying that a top quality complete food wouldn't have had the same effect, but I can't afford to pay £45 a bag for food! And a good balanced raw diet costs a lot less and in my opinion, is every bit as good, if not better.

If you want to continue feeding complete then by all means add a chicken carcase or a piece of lamb breast.

yes most ov them do. but id rather give him raw tbh. and this is the same dry scruffy coat. black downhis spine but the rest is like a mucky brown lol and thats gd to hear that you sorted him out .but i dont like to walk him throw the day just the fact people i dont no will b thinking. does he feed his dog, but i will sort him out for sure crnt wait for him to feel gd in him self

If that picture make's him look better then i would agree with everything folk have said..with a saluki type i used to own when he was fit he looked terribibly skinny and no amount of food would put weight on him..to make sure he was covered i would run my hand inbetween his pin's (the pointy bone's either side of the tail) and feel to make sure the base of the spine had a good covering of muscle.. he was at his best when i could just to say feel his spine with light pressure from my hand between the pin's.

• Like 1